Discussion topic: Emails disappearing

This message was authored by Nicola0677 This message was authored by: Nicola0677

Emails disappearing

Hello,

All of my emails from March to now have disappeared. I have put in a request to get them back, but from experience that doesn't work.

How do I stop this from happening, I thought that once my email were on my laptop they were safe, how do I download them so that they can't somehow be deleted, if say my online sky account was hacked, please?

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Emails disappearing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You can't stop them from disappearing from the server - it's a Yahoo foible. The best alternative would be to use a POP based app or client which keeps a local copy of your Inbox etc, which you can back up as you see fit. I use the Microsoft Office Outlook client. Another Community member might know of any email apps whuch allow you to do the same.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Nicola0677 wrote:

how do I download them so that they can't somehow be deleted, if say my online sky account was hacked, please?

It depends on what device you are using but usually there is a version of Outlook for them all.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Nicola0677
Topic Author
This message was authored by Nicola0677 This message was authored by: Nicola0677

How do I do this please or set it up, are there easy to follow instructions somewhere?

Thank-you though 🙂

Nicola0677
Topic Author

I use my mobile and a laptop, but I would like them to download to my laptop, so once they are there, even if I go into the sky email webpage, if I delete anything there, then it won't affect what has been downloaded to my computer.

This message was authored by Charlotte801 This message was authored by: Charlotte801

This has happened to me also, and o have lost some important emails I need back. Could you let me know how you put a request in to get them back?

Nicola0677
Topic Author

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/sln2552.html;_ylt=AwrLNpftZK1kg5kMPQtLBQx.;_ylu=Y29sbwNpcjIEcG9zAzEEdnRpZA

Hi you follow this link, it worked this time, but last year when I was hacked, it didn't, so I think it is a little hit and miss

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Nicola0677 wrote:

How do I do this please or set it up, are there easy to follow instructions somewhere?

Whatever device you have install Outlook and setup your email account via it.

Select either "Other" or "Not Yahoo" then use these settings:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

Server - pop.tools.sky.com
Port - 995
Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

Server - smtp.tools.sky.com
Port - 465
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

You will then need to generate a 16 digit password and use that instead of your usual one, you can do that here:
https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

There will be a setting somewhere that asks you if you want your emails deleted from the server so make sure this is not selected. This will download your emails to Outlook and they will be separate from  your emails via your online account.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion