Discussion topic: Subtitles (or lack of) on UHD programmes

This message was authored by Witchypool This message was authored by: Witchypool

Subtitles (or lack of) on UHD programmes

I have read all 10 pages in this discussion group and there is a recurring question like mine.

Could someone just explain why there can be subtitles on the HD programmes but not on UHD versions of the same programme? Why can't you just attach the subtitles into the UHD version?

I especially feel frustrated as Sky themselves should ensure it is done on their own productions eg the new series of Midwich Cuckoos which i have been looking forward to in UHD but no subtitles again.

There are many UHD TV programmes from America with subtitles so it can't be technically that difficult.

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia Answer

Re: Subtitles (or lack of) on UHD programmes

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

Firstly, I'd like to profusely apologise for the delays in being in a position to make UHD subtitles available on Q and Sky Glass/Stream.  We understand how difficult it's been and have a plan moving forward that I've shared below.

As some of you have already noticed, we've started to add them to new content. I can confirm that all new content added to the platform will now have them automatically. For existing content, we'll be working through re-processing them all over the coming weeks and months (we've a lot to get through!). Next, we'll be making audio description, where available, across the platform.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Witchypool wrote:

Could someone just explain why there can be subtitles on the HD programmes but not on UHD versions of the same programme? Why can't you just attach the subtitles into the UHD version?

I suspect only Sky can answer that. Presumably it's not as straightforward as you think.

Witchypool
Topic Author
This message was authored by Witchypool This message was authored by: Witchypool

Yes I am waiting for a Sky employee to answer on this forum so we can all get an explanation.

This message was authored by Ian+jock This message was authored by: Ian+jock

Yes i quite agree Im very deaf and rely in subtitles working Sky have not done very well on this issue 

This message was authored by Grumpy+Gran This message was authored by: Grumpy+Gran

@Witchypool . I really wish that I'd seen your post before I paid extra for UHD. It would have saved me a heck of a long time trawling through the very inadequate help available for Skyglass until I found a tiny section in some small print somewhere that there are NO subtitles transmitted in UHD. They keep that quiet when they sell it to you!
I've just seen somewhere that I can make default viewing HD, so I'm going to try that. Wish me luck 🍀 🤣

This message was authored by Ian+jock This message was authored by: Ian+jock

Sorry that does not work either ive tried 

BBC sem able to supply subtitles in UHD

so why cant Sky you cant get an answer from them on this subject

poor show from them

This message was authored by Grumpy+Gran This message was authored by: Grumpy+Gran

The switching to default HD worked. Found the advantage of subtitles far outweighed that of UHD and atmos. Solution for me? I cancelled the £5 a month that I was paying for them. 
Perfect subtitles restored! 🥰

This message was authored by Yvopar This message was authored by: Yvopar

I have just got sky glass and am really disappointed and frustrated with the difficulty of getting subtitles consistently.  If they can do it on sky q then why not with glass? For instance I am now watching a programme on Sky Showcase which says it has subtitles. I have subtitles switched on but no subtitles appear!  Are some basics being forgotten in the push for new? Or am I just not used to Sky Glass? 🧐

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Yvopar

I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.

Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks
Tom
This message was authored by EFCCJ This message was authored by: EFCCJ

Hi Tom

Could you please give me an update as to when subtitles will be appearing on UHD programmes?

I contacted Sky in October last year about this issue and I was assured that this would be happening in 2022.

Do you have any further news?

Many Thanks 

Chris

@EFCCJ wrote:

Hi Tom

Could you please give me an update as to when subtitles will be appearing on UHD programmes?

I contacted Sky in October last year about this issue and I was assured that this would be happening in 2022.

Do you have any further news?

Many Thanks 

Chris

I doubt there's any update yet, beyond what Sky have already said. They're aware of the thread here and I'm sure they'll post when they have further news. Sky rarely give an exact date for upgrades/improvements.

This message was authored by Daviedee This message was authored by: Daviedee

I feel let down by Sky for many a year about not having the option to have subtitles on any UHD programmes, my wife is slightly deaf and needs the subtitles to be able to watch the programme, the response from Sky to say it's on HD is not acceptable IMO, I enjoy watching UHD programmes on other streaming platforms with Atmos sound 

Still saving my money for UHD and atmos as no word on inclusion of subtitles. It would appear that Sky doesn't understand that hearing impairment of one family member doesn't preclude others from enjoying UHD and atmos sound!

Being pragmatic though, they've had so many other glitches to iron out perhaps subtitles have been booted down the list!

This message was authored by Cot96 This message was authored by: Cot96

Sky Glass - Subtitles unavailable for UHD AND HD programmes

I'm appalled by the accessibility availible on Sky Glass. I can't watch anything in UHD or even HD as subtitles aren't availible. To make matters worse, I bought Sky Cinema and a lot of the programmes are UHD only, meaning I can't watch many films... at all. I'm devastated. Surely this is a basic human right? Why am I paying full price when I'm not able to access the full package. 

Re: Sky Glass - Subtitles unavailable for UHD AND HD programmes

@Cot96 I've added your post to an existing thread on the same subject.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion