Discussion topic: Visually impaired remote control

This message was authored by Heather0465 This message was authored by: Heather0465

Visually impaired remote control

My mum has macular degeneration eye and relies on the older sky box which l can set programmes  as she can't see to change channels. The SkyQ remote is too small,  does sky supply a larger remote 

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: Visually impaired remote control

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Heather0465  Sky have remotes which may be usefule see here https://www.sky.com/help/articles/accessibility-remotes

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@Heather0465  Sky have remotes which may be usefule see here https://www.sky.com/help/articles/accessibility-remotes

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Pogit This message was authored by: Pogit

sky accessibility team will send out a Sky Accessibke remote which is the same size as the old Sky +/HD one it's not Bluetooth though so need direct line of sought to work.  An alternative option if she has a large screen Phone or tablet is the remote function in the Sky go app which has a large button mode (exact phrase escapes me)  or there are third party apps that work that I used before the recent upgrade to SkyGo to bring Q the app remote function that Sky + had. but the free ones are  heavily ad based so try the official one first. 

SkyQ 2TBv3 (32B206 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) on LGUM7400, SkyQMini (32D0B2 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) Virgin Media BB.
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Heather0465 at present the remotes on Sky Go that @Pogit is referring to are only available on apple equipment they are unavailable on Android at the present time

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

@Laing1  some of the free sky remote third party apps may not be made by but are pointed to by the sky accessibility teams are avalible on Google Play Store aswell as the Apple App Store, beinv third party they do have ads etc on them which can be intrusive or insensitive but that can be said for any website or social media platform.  Just search Remote for Sky in your apps store it's worth a try until the offical version becomes avalible. 

SkyQ 2TBv3 (32B206 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) on LGUM7400, SkyQMini (32D0B2 - Q250.000.11..00L (“5qq6eks) (Ethernet) Virgin Media BB.

Infact I just just tried installing it on a chrome book and it allows you to turn the touch pad into a controller swiping to  control all of the sky Q on screen menus. Very helpful for people who have problems with fine motor skills 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Pogit wrote:

Infact I just just tried installing it on a chrome book and it allows you to turn the touch pad into a controller swiping to  control all of the sky Q on screen menus. Very helpful for people who have problems with fine motor skills 

@Pogit I think you are misunderstanding me I am not talking about third party remotes but specifically the remote that is available on Sky Go there is a remote included on Sky Go on apple software.

There is unfortunately no remote  included in Sky Go that runs on Android operating system it was supposed to released  early 2024 but has yet to appear 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Yeah I got that but the remote for q has only recently officially appeared in iOS sky go.  I was told prior to getting Sky q it was coming and for years it failed to appear so hopefully it won't be much longer now.   Hiwever in the mean time third party ones do exist the main one I believe was made by a knowledgeable sky  employee / affiliate /  user I used it for years due to need but the adds did become both intrusive and occasionally inappropriate which I pointed out to Sky's Accessibility teams who fully supported the need for it when many on here and other user forums dismissed it.

My point the option is there albeit far from the best option which hopefully won't be much longer though I feel your pain and would be equally frustrated is I was more of an Android user than a iOS one. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion