Discussion topic: Geo location servers - issues with incorrect IP location

This message was authored by JFP23 This message was authored by: JFP23

Geo location servers - issues with incorrect IP location

We switched to SKY streaming 8 weeks ago and all was fine then approx. 3 weeks ago we had an issue because our IP location is being identified by SKY incorrectly as being abroad and we've had no SKY services (Streaming or SKYGo) since.  We can watch other apps, ie Netflix / BBC iPlayer....etc which just seems to reiterate it's a SKY problem.  I've spent hours talking to numerous SKY customer service personnel but no one is helping, I've also raised a complaint as our provider has sent details explaining how the IP addresses have been re-registered correctly and that it's SKYs geolocation database that is wrong and requires updating.  I've seen & replied to other posts outlining similar issues with SkyQ where the resolution was to add the IP address to Skys whitelist but the latest Sky customer service person said they don't have a whitelist and it's not the same problem.  They don't seem to be listening, I feel like I'm going round in circles and need someone technical to help resolve this. Can anyone assist?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Re: Geo location servers - issues with incorrect IP location

Posted by a Sky employee

Hello! 

Just for others, I wanted to confirm our Product team managed to fix this issue for @JFP23 by validating that their IP address was from within the UK and flagging this to the IP address provider.

Sorry again this took so long to fix @JFP23, this is a very niche issue that we'll be working on communicating to our colleagues in the contact centre 😊

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Who is your ISP? Is it a satellite broadband provider ?

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
JFP23
Topic Author

Hi, it's 4th Utility.

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Install a VPN in to the router - using a UK IP. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
JFP23
Topic Author

Sky have already to said it must be a dynamic IP (which it is) so static IPs a

& VPNs won't help.  I'm already using a UK IP and confirmed it's location on iplocation.net and rads.net to ensure its correctly registered.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jason+Golding wrote:

Install a VPN in to the router - using a UK IP. 

Most routers won't support that, and an increasing number of services will block detected VPN endpoints by default.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
JFP23
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood I've spent hours on the phone to Sky Customer Services but they are unable to help and when I mentioned the help forum they suggested I ask a superuser to escalate the problem to a SKY expert, are you able to assist with this?

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @JFP23! Welcome to the Sky Community forum, where customers like you are on hand 24/7 (almost) to offer some fantastic advice and help on all things Sky-related.

I'd like to get some more info from you as this doesn't sound right, I'm going to send you a private message now...

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Hello! 

Just for others, I wanted to confirm our Product team managed to fix this issue for @JFP23 by validating that their IP address was from within the UK and flagging this to the IP address provider.

Sorry again this took so long to fix @JFP23, this is a very niche issue that we'll be working on communicating to our colleagues in the contact centre 😊

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

JFP23
Topic Author

Thanks again Chloe, your assistance was much appreciated.

This message was authored by tiger4020 This message was authored by: tiger4020

Geo location servers - issues with incorrect IP location

Hello Chole,

I came across the forum discussion about an IP issue.  I am using Octaplus Broadband and got the same issue. They have got new IP's on their network and need to be validated they are from UK.

When I do what is MY IP it says 154.56.234.23

Would it be possible please to do this for me.

Thank you,

Mike

This message was authored by jm1403 This message was authored by: jm1403

We also are now experiencing this issue. Been with sky stream and current ISP for 6 months without any issues then since Saturday it's all gone wrong. 

called sky tech support at weekend and constantly told to unplug router for at least 30 minutes for it to forget current IP address. This was done 3 times and same issue. 

Can someone in sky tech support please reach out how to resolve this. 

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@jm1403 wrote:

We also are now experiencing this issue. Been with sky stream and current ISP for 6 months without any issues then since Saturday it's all gone wrong. 

called sky tech support at weekend and constantly told to unplug router for at least 30 minutes for it to forget current IP address. This was done 3 times and same issue. 

Can someone in sky tech support please reach out how to resolve this. 

@jm1403  who's your isp?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by jm1403 This message was authored by: jm1403

Company called Open Infra who have been rolling out FFTP in our area. FWIW seems not the only one who this issue has suddenly in the area. 

Have checked what is my IP Address and comes back as London 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Chloe-W22 wrote:

Hi @LDS88 is this on Glass or Sky Stream?

hi Chloe

@jm1403 needs help too

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion