Discussion topic: Join the Latest Sky Go Trial for PC (Windows and Mac)

This message was authored by Swinster This message was authored by: Swinster

Re: Join the Latest Sky Go Trial for PC (Windows and Mac)

Perhaps the entire Sky GO support team have been on an early Christmas holiday since the beginning of November? 

This message was authored by MCW62 This message was authored by: MCW62

My Sky go app crashes every time after about 30 secs. Re-install makes no difference.

This message was authored by LaraVaio This message was authored by: LaraVaio

Never has there been an App that is notorious for not working. Perhaps a web app would have been better, like the good old days.

Build 21.11.2 is still with error code 001. I have installed, opened, ground my teeth, deleted app, restarted my Macbook Pro, then repeat the cycle around 5 times.

I will just watch on my phone. But remember, your NPS will drag down further and further until you lose all your customers. Thankfully there are options these days.

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

@LaraVaio wrote:

Never has there been an App that is notorious for not working. Perhaps a web app would have been better, like the good old days.

Build 21.11.2 is still with error code 001. I have installed, opened, ground my teeth, deleted app, restarted my Macbook Pro, then repeat the cycle around 5 times.

I will just watch on my phone. But remember, your NPS will drag down further and further until you lose all your customers. Thankfully there are options these days.

Not even close to being true, it may not work for you but I've never had any problems with it really.

I work on help desks for various projects and many, many more over the years and Sky Go doesn't appear in any top 10 worst offenders list.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"

I have to agree with @LaraVaio. Managing numerous end devices and servers, I run into many application issues. However, the Sky Go app has consistently caused issues on specific end devices. My problem, however, is not so much with the app, but with the lack of support and care to wish to fix these issues for customers. 

This message was authored by AndyH This message was authored by: AndyH

I'm not sure that Sky actually can really  fix any major issues with the code, particularly the DRM aspect. It seems to have originated with Israeli Developers,  further developed by NDS,  then seen sold to Cisco in 2012 who then sold it on in 2018 to Permira... and given all the hands that have been in it.. and long-standing issues with it in terms of CPU load, DRM etc.. you have to wonder how easily maintainable it is.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AndyH wrote:

you have to wonder how easily maintainable it is.

Almost entirely not, I suspect.  The best hope would be that Sky allocates sufficient resources to the Go team for either development of a new app from scratch or the acquisition of an adequate replacement.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Something  else that puzzles me about the Sky Go app is how little use it makes of GPU decoders to lower CPU load, the CPU cores seem to be doing all the heavy lifting. Sky use I think H264 streams for which most modern low to mid range CPU's have GPU support...many have H265 support.
This message was authored by glen80 This message was authored by: glen80

I have the same problem, however, this works for me:

Open Sky Go App, if it gets stuck open the task manager and close the app from there. Once this is done reopen Sky Go.

I have been stuck 5 days in a row, each time this way has fixed it (I tried closing it on the app and reopening it, but get the same issue) Hope this works for people.

This message was authored by Millian This message was authored by: Millian

My Sky Go had been working for a long time on my MacBook and then in the last few months, this error page keeps appearing and I am unable to get on.

CONNECTING YOUR APPLICATION

We're having problems connecting you. Please try again (001).

Try Again

How can I fix this? 

This message was authored by papertape This message was authored by: papertape

The issue of black screen at end of installation is fixed by minimising the window and then restoring to normal size. The window is then redrawn correctly and the black screen disappears. For the programmers at Sky this a WM_PAINT issue of the Client area.

@Millian, you could try looking over https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Sky-Go-desktop-error-001/td-p/3493728/page/11, however, for me, it has been broken for years ona specific device and Sky won't/can't fix it. 

Crikey, all this time, all these problems and it still only does 720p. For goodness sake get something produced by someone who knows what they are doing that supports 4k and get rid of this junk.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion