Discussion topic: Sky Go App stuck on checking for updates

This message was authored by DB2 This message was authored by: DB2

Sky Go App stuck on checking for updates

Why do I have to uninstall and restall skygo every time I use it? It gets stuck on checking for updates. I have enabled the SkyGo app in the firewall and there is no issue with my wifi. Thanks for your help.

If I uninstall it, empty my recycle bin and reinstall it, it works. But the next time I go to use the App it gets stuck on checking for updates again. I am using Windows 11.

All Replies

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Re: Sky Go App stuck on checking for updates

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there @DB2 , I’ve escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this. 

Just look out for the colourful bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

We are still looking to help you. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks

DB2
Topic Author
This message was authored by DB2 This message was authored by: DB2

THanks Lisa, 

I would like to chat.  I did not see an invitation but will set up a new chat. Thanks. 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DB2 

To get you some help with this I have escalated your post to the Sky Messaging team who should be in touch with you sometime tomorrow morning regarding this via a blue/red chat bubble which will appear at the bottom of this page.

This link explains how this works so you will need to respond to the chat bubble at the bottom of the page when it appears:
https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

When the chat bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or it will be automatically closed. This isn't a live chat so replies are not instant.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @DB2  another invite to chat.

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Posted by a Sky employee

We are still looking to help you. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks

This message was authored by NAQ88 This message was authored by: NAQ88

I have the same issue on my laptop running Windows 10. Never gets beyond 'checking for updates' - just gets stuck.

I have tried reinstalling but the problem recurs within days. 

This message was authored by stratfordman This message was authored by: stratfordman

just unusable.Re: Sky Go App stuck on checking for updates

Same with me-

This message was authored by Artemis72 This message was authored by: Artemis72

I have a sky subscription, i have sky go, every single time i try and use it i get the 'checking for updates' message. I have started using sports streams as they are more reliable. 

This message was authored by doggity This message was authored by: doggity

i cannot believe this problem has not been dealt with. if you google "stuck on stuck on checking for updates" it is a widespread problem. but apart from uninstalling and reinstalling, or deleting the sky and sky go folders in the appdata roaming folder. no solution as yet.  how come the designer of this app hasnt been told he needs to address this issue?  how come a solution hasnt been found? strange.

posted elsewhere but ive just found a solution for me. if i unplug the hdmi cable from my pc thats connected to a tv i get zero checking for update freezes.

This message was authored by Nexus+6 This message was authored by: Nexus+6

There are a few things going on here:

1)  Instead of simply operating a web based, HTML streaming capability like EVERYONE else in the world does (BBC, Netflix, add anyone else to the list), Sky want to force you to use their app because they want total control.

2) Their app is, and always has been,  a crock of doggy do. Totally unreliable (as you have discovered) and even when it does run, the picture is often terrible quality (illegal streams are better for pity' sake).

3) Sky are arrogan and, excessive profit making. Ergo, they don't give a monkeys what you aren't getting for your money.

my hdmi cable removal fix no longer works. i get the checking for updates hang.

This message was authored by DavP This message was authored by: DavP

I have had this 'checking for updates' issue multiple times but I have found a simple workaround that works for me everytime in windows 10. Immediately after starting the skygo app, I minimise it to the taskbar, then wait 60 ish seconds and then reopen it and it is always on the main sky menu screen. Not a perfect solution but saves the whole uninstall\reinstall debacle!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion