Discussion topic: Sky Go crashing on windows

This message was authored by mac182 This message was authored by: mac182

Sky Go crashing on windows

My Sky Go on Windows 11 64-bit previously worked fine but yesterday stopped working and now every time I try and load it it opens a screen saying 'Checking for Updates', waits a few seconds and then closes / crashes.  Any ideas please?

All Replies

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Re: Sky Go crashing on windows

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.  

Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147  

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Update – We are still looking to help you mac182. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks 🙂

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
mac182
Topic Author
This message was authored by mac182 This message was authored by: mac182

I didn't hear from anyone on this and the appis stilll not working.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there mac182, We did invite you but the invite went unanswered. I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team again, who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.  

Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147  

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by AntonyR79 This message was authored by: AntonyR79

I'm getting this exact same problem on windows 10
I have tried the complete uninstall / reinstall several times already today.

I did manage to log in once (i.e. the only time it got past the "checking for updates" screen) but as soon as I pressed play on a channel it died, and then reverted back to dying after "checking for updates".

If I run in "compatibility mode" for windows 8, i get a simple black screen... although if I drag the app off and back on screen, i see a "PFE 4002" error, but then I get to a cookies consent thing, and as soon as I accept, the app dies again.

The app is working on my macbook and my android phone, so I can see it's not a account thing, but a device issue.

This message was authored by AntonyR79 This message was authored by: AntonyR79

Any suggestions for this other than the reinstall? (which definitely isn't working)

I do the full "uninstall, delete the sky, sky go and synamedia folders from AppData, reboot" loop between each reinstall but it makes no difference, still just "checking for updates" which disappears, then the app crashes

This message was authored by MCW62 This message was authored by: MCW62

Im having exactly the same issue. I have emptied the recycle bin. Deleted sky and skygo directories below  appsdate/roaming/  and reinstalled but this has not solved the issue. Rang Sky and the person I spoke to says it may take a month to fix. So looks like no Sky Go for a while. Sounds like this is windows compatibility issue.  

This message was authored by pd14d This message was authored by: pd14d

I'm having the exact same issue. I have installed all the latest Microsoft updates and no luck,. I'm going to try and roll back the last Microsoft update ( if I remembered to create a backup point!) and try it again. 
not acceptable to wait a month!

Update: system restore failed even though I had two restore points. Also tried running in Admin mode. 

Issue solved by a nice Sky advisor.

A clean re-install was required. Ie. Uninstall the Sky Go app and then delete the Sky and Sky Go directories in the Apps user folders in both Roaming and Local folders. The Cisco folder also should be removed ( fix did not work without deleting the Cisco data too). Then download and reinstall Sky Go. 

This message was authored by Mark+2001 This message was authored by: Mark+2001

Just tried the delete cisco and sky go app in the fokders and it worked for me.

This message was authored by SamB08 This message was authored by: SamB08

Hi, I've been facing this issue this morning and tried to follow the advice given, however, when I tried to reinstall it. It still crashed. This has been a genuinely frustrating experience that the app somehow doesn't work on the latest Windows OS

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion