Discussion topic: Sky Go on TV

This message was authored by SEwalley This message was authored by: SEwalley

Sky Go on TV

My Sky Q box says I’m “set up to watch TV from your Sky Q box on Sky Go” but how do I select it when it is not showing in Apps. My Sky satellite dish is temporarily blocked by scaffolding so I need to switch to Sky Go on the TV.  I reactivated “Watch via Sky Go” and got the tick mark but to no avail. I can watch Sky Go on portable devices ok but I want it on the TV

Best Answers
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam Answer

Re: Sky Go on TV

@SEwalley wrote:

My Sky Q box says I’m “set up to watch TV from your Sky Q box on Sky Go” but how do I select it when it is not showing in Apps. My Sky satellite dish is temporarily blocked by scaffolding so I need to switch to Sky Go on the TV.  I reactivated “Watch via Sky Go” and got the tick mark but to no avail. I can watch Sky Go on portable devices ok but I want it on the TV

There is no Sky Go app on the Sky Q box. If you have an Apple TV box or a Playstation or XBox console you can download the app on there and connect them to your TV but otherwise you'll have to make do with your portable devices. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam Answer

@SEwalley wrote:

There is no Sky Go app on the Sky Q box. If you have an Apple TV box or a Playstation or XBox console you can download the app on there and connect them to your TV but otherwise you'll have to make do with your portable devices. 

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @SEwalley   "watch TV from your Sky Q box on Sky Go". So you can watch programmes that are on your Sky Q box on a device that supports Sky Go. The only means of getting Sky Go on your TV is by attaching a HDMI cable to your portable device that supports Sky Go or I believe use a games console that supports Sky Go.

SEwalley
Topic Author

I tried Apple TV and screen mirroring from iPad but it’s not allowed according to the message I received. 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@SEwalley wrote:

I tried Apple TV and screen mirroring from iPad but it’s not allowed according to the message I received. 

The Sky Go app on an Apple TV box requires you to have a multiscreen subscription. Do you have that?

Screen mirroring from an iPad will not work due to copy protection. 

Is your TV a smart TV? Does it have built-in apps? Is it connected to the internet? You can get live channel streams of all the main free-to-air channels via iPlayer, ITVX, Channel 4 and My5 so you can always use those for some viewing.  

SEwalley
Topic Author

Sorry, I neglected to mention I do have multiscreen subscription. 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

What devices do you have @SEwalley so phones, tablets, PCs, Macs, Gaming consoles ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@SEwalley 

try downloading the Sky Go app on the Apple TV directly from the App Store and log in, if you have a multi screen sub it will work out the box. 

hope this helps 

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
SEwalley
Topic Author

Only iPhone and iPads. I’m thinking I’ll need to reinstate an old PC or laptop to get Sky Go on a TV! 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@SEwalley wrote:

Only iPhone and iPads. I’m thinking I’ll need to reinstate an old PC or laptop to get Sky Go on a TV! 

You can install the Sky Go app on your iphones and iPads but they can't be directly connected to your TV but your laptop can.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
SEwalley
Topic Author

Thanks for all the responses. The only succesful way I could watch Sky on TV using the SkyGo app was by connecting a laptop to the TV via HDMI cable.  The picture was good but weirdly the sound didn't transfer. However,  I just turned up the volume on the laptop. 
This set up will suffice until I get my satellite dish working again. 
For others with a similar issue some hints:-

- I have a SkyQ box with multi screen subscription. I believe this is required to watch Sky on TV using SkyGo and a laptop.  
- SkyGo works fine on mobile devices however, with SkyGo app installed, you cannot use screen mirroring (Apple TV etc.) from iPad/iPhone to watch Sky on TV. An error messagewill appear if you try. 
- if you can survive without live Sky the Q box may still work for recordings playback and some channels such as ITV, BBC....maybe! 
Good luck. 

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@SEwalley 

Have you clicked the volume button on your Mac and changed the output from internal speakers to the TV?

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
SEwalley
Topic Author

@ThePope27 

@ThePope27    Sorry, thought I'd answered that.
I did select the audio output to TV on the laptop but to no avail. The laptop had automatically recognised the TV name: Samsung, but the sound did not output to the TV speakers. Anyway, the laptop speaker was good enough so I turned up the volume and managed fine 
Conversely, when I had tried previously to mirror SkyGo from the iPad to the TV via Apple. TV the picture was blocked (as mentioned and discussed earlier in this topic) but the sound was picked up on the TV speakers!  And no, I could not watch the picture on the iPad and listen to the sound on the TV because the error message remains on the iPad screen until mirroring is turned off! Ho hum! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion