Discussion topic: Sky go desktop app not working on windows

This message was authored by Paul1ee This message was authored by: Paul1ee

Re: Sky go desktop app not working on windows

I get this problem too now, was able to use the sky go app a couple of months or so ago on my laptop, but yesterday when i tried it I was told to reinstall due to the update causing or encountering some kind of corruption. So I removed Sky go, and downloaded again from a suitable sky.com URL. But now it says checking for updates and then just shows a white play button on a blue background and freezes on that screen unresponsive to any input. I tried the suggestion here that had worked for one person of adding a new windows user and installing it whilst logged in as that new user, but that didnt work either, did exactly the same. I had also already tried the suggestion of checking for and removing the cisco folder after uninstalling. My personal laptop is a HP with Windows 11 Pro build 22621.2283 and an 8th gen intel i7 chip, it had always been able to run sky go in the past (I probably last used it a couple of months back).

Also now tried installing on my work laptop, brand new this year with a well updated Windows 11 OS and a 13th generation intel i7, 32GB RAM and tons of free hardrive space, never used or installed sky go app on it until now, I have full admin privileges, but when I install sky go on it I still get exactly the same problem, Sky go says its checking for updates briefly and then shows a blue screen with a white arrow and is unusable.

Seems like they've messed up the sky go app.

This message was authored by stuart18 This message was authored by: stuart18

I removed all Registered devices  signed  of all apps i had then started with Windows app first when i added all my devices and it worked 

This message was authored by Petesmit This message was authored by: Petesmit

Delighted to say that SkyGo is now working as previously..not sure if they've implemented a fix..

This message was authored by Mickey-Padge This message was authored by: Mickey-Padge

Not working here, same as before, just the play button displayed then nothing works, clean install of win 11 too...

@Mickey-Padge Assume you've uninstalled the Sky app and any remaining Folders and downloaded the Installer file again (and run it) and that your Windows 11 is up to date?

This message was authored by Mickey-Padge This message was authored by: Mickey-Padge

Was a clean install of Windows 11 fresh. Latest installer used. Same results. App opens and shows a blue screen with giant play button, that's it. Same results on my laptop.

This message was authored by Maglshaun This message was authored by: Maglshaun

Hi

I had same issue on brand new laptop running Windows 11. I then created a new user, downloaded the sky app and installed. It then works but only on this new user.

This message was authored by robert. This message was authored by: robert.

Not working for me either, after a fresh install of Windows 11

You would think after all this time Sky could get a software team that had a clue what they were doing..

I get the login prompt followed by 5 popups saying "Something is wrong. the app will now quit (1a)"

This message was authored by Maglshaun This message was authored by: Maglshaun

Did you try the solution I documented in this thread?

This message was authored by robert. This message was authored by: robert.

Yea, gave that a go but still no joy.

This message was authored by finglonger This message was authored by: finglonger

same problem here

followed most of the advice above so far

uninstalled sky go - check

deleted app data roaming sky go, sky - appdata local low Synamedia 

emptied recycle bin

rebooted

reinstalled

nada

set reset dns servers to isp defaults and cleard dns cache

nada

rince and refresh with a different ISP - phone hotspot same issue

enabled the adminstrator account and installed sky go

again same issue - even with a new windows account sky go fails to even prompt for new credentials

tested via VPN both uk and international - no change what so ever

when launching the sky go app only a few bytes of data are transmitted.. no data received

This message was authored by finglonger This message was authored by: finglonger

cant find a way of editing post but addenum

sky go works fine on another machine and via phone

This message was authored by Paul1ee This message was authored by: Paul1ee

Sorry it's not much help, but I can't really say what fixed it for me in the end, nor whether or not it will reoccur at some point. Earlier in the month when I had the same issues on two separate Windows 11 laptops whilst away for a few days there was nothing I could do to get past the screen with the white triangle after it checked for updates. I tried the suggestions from this thread including reinstalling the Sky Go app several times after trying various different things and as different users, but got nowhere over two separate days that I was away and had to use my rubbish small phone screen with the android app instead.

Windows Sky Go app still wasn't working on either laptop when I got home initially, but then about 3 or 4 days later it just started working again on both laptops at least at home, haven't tried when away again yet. Hadn't changed anything on the laptops since I'd been away, it just started working again and has still worked on the couple of days I've briefly tried it since. Haven't actually properly needed it again yet.

Like most issues with Sky I now can't help thinking it's probably nothing to do with my own equipment as everything else I use my equipment for works fine, but really not sure where the issue actually lies other than somewhere between the Sky Go app or whatever it connects to at Sky.

This message was authored by nickynicknick This message was authored by: nickynicknick

I am having this issue - why can't sky sort this out!  I have tried all of the above multiple times.  its just obviously something they can fix but choose not to. Shocking service from SKY.  

Unbelieveable after it not working at the beginning of October then suddenly starting working today I fired it up it downloaded an Update and guess what.....it's not working again.......frustrated?? slightly!!!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion