Discussion topic: Sky go desktop app not working on windows

This message was authored by doggity This message was authored by: doggity

Re: Sky go desktop app not working on windows

ive fjust ound a solution. my pc is linked to my tv downstairs with a HDMI cable. with it connected i get checking for update freezes. with it disconnected i get none.

This message was authored by Petesmit This message was authored by: Petesmit

Interesting..I've never had my PC connected via an HDMI Cable but I have turned Off the Connect to Sky Q Box in the settings in the App on my PC.....

This message was authored by Mrindeed This message was authored by: Mrindeed

This is just a temporary workaround on Windows OS to get the Sky Go desktop application (app) working. I have not tried this on MacOS, but I imagine it should work too.

On Windows OS, the Sky Go desktop app installs on the roaming user profile. Here is the file path to the install -> C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Sky\Sky Go

On my main user account the Sky Go app would get stuck on the white play button.

Someone here or another forum mentioned the Sky Go app working on another user account on their Windows OS.

I created a test user account on my Windows 11, installed Sky Go on that account and lo and behold, no issues with the Sky Go app.

I logged out of the test user, logged into my main user account and opened the Sky Go app directly from the test user account. Lo and behold the Sky Go app was working without any issues.

I then copied the install from the test user profile into my main user profile, keeping the install path the same created a shortcut and copied the shortcut to my desktop and start menu and then deleted the test user account.

So far, I had no issues with this workaround.

my hdmi cable removal fix has stopped working. it hangs on checking for updates

Give this a try:

Right-click on the Sky Go app and click on Compatibility.
Go to change settings for all users at bottom of pop-up.
Check the boxes "Run as administrator" AND the box beneath that says "Register this Program for Restart".

Click Apply.

if i right click on the shortcut to the app or the .exe itself i dont get compatibility in the pop up menu. . i get troubleshoot compatibility. and if i click that i get 2 options try recommended settings  or troubleshoot program.

and then i get 4 options 

1 prog worked dunt now

2 prog opens dunt display

3 prog req additional permissions

3 cant see problem listed.

nothing comes up remotely like what you suggest. windows 11.

Sorry posted wrong part of a document;  should read as follows:

Right-click on the Sky Go app and click on Show more options

Click on Restore Previous Versions

Click the Compatibility Tab

Check the boxes "Run as administrator"

Click on Change settings for all users at bottom of pop-up

Check the box that says "Register this Program for Restart".

Click OK

Relaunch Sky Go

if i right click on the skygo.exe i dont get show more options but if i select properties i get the sky go properties window where i can see the things you refer to. i click  restore previous versions. and in the pop up it says there are no previous versions available.

from the properties window i can do all the things you then mention and ive done them and i start sky go and ... it hangs on checking for updates....

oh well it was worth a try thx.

Thats strange I've screen dumped the process and Show More Options is right at the bottom when you right click on the Sky Icon......I also assume that you uninstalled the app and deleted the Sky and Sky Go folders from the Roaming apps folder before reinstalling it?

re the lack of Show More Options issue it may be your context menu settings need resetting as it can be disabled.....one way around this is to hold the shift key down whilst right clicking (anything) and you will get the full menu.....

if i shift right click i dont get any more options than normal right click. just noticed i get restore previous versions. but if i select properties i get lots more options. but none of them help me.😪

This message was authored by DavP This message was authored by: DavP

I have had this 'checking for updates' issue multiple times but I have found a simple workaround that works for me everytime in windows 10. Immediately after starting the skygo app, I minimise it to the taskbar, then wait 60 ish seconds and then reopen it and it is always on the main sky menu screen. Not a perfect solution but saves the whole uninstall\reinstall debacle!

This message was authored by Tony6521 This message was authored by: Tony6521

Re

Hello AI10

3. Click on the compatibility tab    *clicked on this it is working*

4.  Click on Change emulation settings *does not show on my compability tab*

5. Choose Safe Emulation and press OK *neither does this show*

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion