Discussion topic: Sky protect or d&g sky protect , i didnt know i had both and paying through the nose ,m

This message was authored by janlou This message was authored by: janlou

Sky protect or d&g sky protect , i didnt know i had both and paying through the nose ,m

Im totally confused. Sky protect or d& g sky protect whats the difference & why do i have both ?? Affording the monthly payments is becoming difficult i need to lose one at least. I have been sky customer 25 years. Need some advice please @Sky

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky protect or d&g sky protect , i didnt know i had both and paying through the nose ,m

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@janlou 

Sky Protect from Zurich is traditional Building & Contents insurance: often required to have a mortgage, for example.

Sky Protect from D&G is device insurance (effectively an extended warranty and accidental damage cover for a few named electronic devices)

Building & Contents insurance doesn't replace a television set or Sky box when these stop working.

Device insurance doesn't get your house rebuilt if it burns down.

Typically Building & Contents is considerably more expensive because it's covering hundreds of thousands of pounds of risk.  Device insurance should be a few pounds a month, but 'protects' very little.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
janlou
Topic Author
This message was authored by janlou This message was authored by: janlou

Re: Sky protect or d&g sky protect , i didnt know i had both and paying through the nose ,m

Thanks for response. So basically I dont need either as I have full contents & accidentall cover through my home insurance. 
thanks 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@janlou 

Home insurance doesn't cover repair or replacement of electronic items which fail when out of warranty though.

This message was authored by Jon34 This message was authored by: Jon34

Only your insurer will be able to tell you what electronic items are covered.

For example, with my contents cover all of my appliances are covered old-for-new.

Phones/laptops etc are all covered as I have requested the additional cover.

Interestingly when I signed up for sky stream, I started getting bombarded with phone calls from sky protect (d&g) asking me if I wanted to protect my new sky equipment... I suspect they'll get caught out be the regulator long enough

Anyway!

You don't need to insure the sky stream boxes as in most cases you don't own them and of they break down its sky's responsibility to replace them

@Jon34 wrote:

You don't need to insure the sky stream boxes as in most cases you don't own them and of they break down its sky's responsibility to replace them

That's not entirely correct: because Stream pucks (like Q television boxes) are on loan, the subscriber is liable for paying Sky the hardware replacement cost in the event of accidental damage or theft, and Sky advises in the contracts that there should be some kind of insurance in place.  The difference with Stream is that the cost Sky would charge in that unlikely event probably isn't worth the premium.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion