Discussion topic: Cant get Starlink and TP Deco connected to Sky Q

This message was authored by Freglekid This message was authored by: Freglekid

Cant get Starlink and TP Deco connected to Sky Q

We live in a rural area so have just opted for Starlink to replace our copper connection.

As we live in a long house ive purchased a TP Deco mesh system which is great for PC laptops, etc.

I cannot get an ethernet connection to the main SkyQ box, too far away from the nearest node. Tried resetting network connection and shifting, it will connect but then won't shift to two ticks.

The three Sky mini boxes don't allow me to swap wifi connection.

Help!!!!

All Replies

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

Re: Cant get Starlink and TP Deco connected to Sky Q

This is direct from the Sky TAPS newsletter,

"Engineers have tried to install Sky Q with Starlink, and altered the DNS to try and get round the issue, this won't work, as the latency issue will still remain.

Here lies the tricky bit, as an engineer you cannot simply cancel a job because these or any other ISP don't get along (after all they can still use it with no BB connection), all you can do is connect to their hub on your iPad, run a speed test and check the Ping Rate - Ideally it needs to be under 25ms, and consistent, by this we mean to run several tests to ensure the

ping rate is stable.

If it's higher than 25ms, then you need to inform the customer of the potential issues,

such as:

Call to upgrade message when attempting to access Catch Up and On Demand

Missing tiles within the on demand content.

Programmes stuck in the download queue.
Failed on demand downloads."

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by ftballman This message was authored by: ftballman

The problem with deco and sky is that even in ideal circumstances you need to wire each box to a deco node. There's no guarantee that will work either. I would recommend looking up the tp link website for connecting sky q. There are some peculiarities required by the sky setup.

As an alternative, for wiring back your sky box to the router ( if a deco nearby isn't an option), have you looked into something like powerline. Again nowhere near fool proof but an option.

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@Freglekid @ftballman 

This is what I followed when I configured one of my customers houses with a mesh system.

It wasn't deco but people on Reddit have followed the same instructions and it worked

https://support.plume.com/s/article/Sky-Q-Box-and-Sky-devices-connectivity-issues?language=en_US

If this doesn't help have a look through the sky's help section

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-q-permanent-connectivity/third-party-powerline

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion