Discussion topic: Poor signal from communal Sky Q system

This message was authored by Padhyde This message was authored by: Padhyde

Poor signal from communal Sky Q system

I now live in a block of 12 flats which has communal systems for Sky and terrestrial TV. I get very few Freeview channels and significant pixelation on many Sky Q channels. My building management company tell me that the problem I have must be specific to my flat because they have no complaints from other occupants of the flats. When a Sky Engineer set me up with Sky Q he told me I had  a poor signal because the communal system could not cope with the technical requirements of Sky Q.  Sky told me only three flats in my block have Sky Q. I do not know who they are. My question is how likely is it that my signal problem is unique to my flat? Surely it is the communal system that determines the quality of signal sent to each flat? Also, surely the poor terrestrial signal must be affecting all flats? I know I have the option of Sky Stream but I at least want to see just how much my current poor signal can be improved before deciding to change. Advice will be appreciated.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey Answer

Re: Poor signal from communal Sky Q system

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Padhyde   It is very unlikely that your marginal quality satellite transponder signals will just be specific to your flat.

When your original Sky engineer attended to set up Sky Q for you they should have emailed a PDF file copy of their Televes H30 test meter scan when they discovered problems, which would have accurately highlighted the exact technical performance of your communal system.

I suggest you ask Sky to arrange for one of their Multiple Development Unit (MDU) trained engineers to attend and provide you with a detailed technical report of any reception problems that your management company will need to resolve.

Godfrey.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Padhyde 

I'll tag our communal system expert @Godfrey for his take on this. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey Answer

@Padhyde   It is very unlikely that your marginal quality satellite transponder signals will just be specific to your flat.

When your original Sky engineer attended to set up Sky Q for you they should have emailed a PDF file copy of their Televes H30 test meter scan when they discovered problems, which would have accurately highlighted the exact technical performance of your communal system.

I suggest you ask Sky to arrange for one of their Multiple Development Unit (MDU) trained engineers to attend and provide you with a detailed technical report of any reception problems that your management company will need to resolve.

Godfrey.

Padhyde
Topic Author

I contacted Sky. They would not send an Engineer. They told me it was the responsibility of the management company for my block of flats to investigate the problem. I contacted the company. They insisted that my Landlord should contact them and agree to accept the call out cost if the problem was exclusively an issue for my flat. I'm now waiting for my Landlord to make the commitment.

This message was authored by YorkshireSkyQ This message was authored by: YorkshireSkyQ

What are the signal strength and signal quality figures on your SkyQ box?

Is the block a recent build or old building? What is the wall plate like that you plug into? Presuming you're using dscr mode?

Padhyde
Topic Author

The building is about 11 years old. Status shows

you currently have a good satellite signal for your Sky Service.

Satellite Signal.  Locked

Signal Strength 70

Signal Quality 90

LBN Type SCR

I am unable to upload an image of the plate.   Not sure how to describe it.

among the channels I get no signal are ITV 1 Sky Gold and Sports Channels 401 and 403. These were channels we used regularly.

This message was authored by YorkshireSkyQ This message was authored by: YorkshireSkyQ

Your block is fairly new so it should have good cabling. Your satellite strengh/quality readings are more than adequate to receive SkyQ.

You can upload an image of your wall faceplate by using the above icons on these messages - choose the camera logo, to the left of the speech marks and it will allow you to post a photo.

Your wallplate is probably a duplex, triplex or quadplex face plate.

1. Have you got Sat 1 or Sat 2 plugged into your SkyQ box and is that the only cable plugged in?
  2. Is your SkyQ box plugged directly into your TV or an AV receiver?
  3. Has your TV got a satellite decoder built in? If so, have you tried plugging the satellite cable from the wallplate into your TV and seeing if you get all channels on FreeSat?
  4. Is the poor terrestrial signal also from the same wallplate?
  5. Do you get all of the following channels okay? 

Ch 211            Dave ja vu

Ch 587          The Word
Ch 660         QVC

On SkyQ can you also get channel 159 - DMax?

And on Freesat, can you get these channels?

Channel 124 More 4

Channel 157 Dave UK

Channel 172 Quest UK
Channel 505 Kerrang

Padhyde
Topic Author

I know you are trying to help but I don't understand what some of questions are about.

I do not understand the photo requirements. Three cables are connected. HDMI, Ethernet and one to the plate second in from the left when looking at the front of the box.

I get very few of the channels you ask about. Hardly any at on Freesat and quite a lot of the Sky Q are missing.

I must wait for my Management Company to investigate hopefully on the instructions of my Landlord.  I am  a confused 80s man! Life was so simple once!

Thanks for trying to help but let's leave it now.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion