Discussion topic: Volume setting not displaying on TV screen when using Sky Q box

This message was authored by ksaro1 This message was authored by: ksaro1

Volume setting not displaying on TV screen when using Sky Q box

I have a Sky Q main box, a Sony KE-55A8 smart TV and a Sony HT-X8500 soundbar. When using the TV on its own, i.e. not using the Sky Q's HDMI input, and I change the sound volume this setting shows on the TV's screen. When watching any Sky on the TV, when I change the sound volume using the Sky remote then the sound volume changes and the LEDs on the soundbar flash showing the change. However, the setting of the volume is not displayed on the TV. So I don't know if the volume is set to 10 or 40?

My TV is connected to the Sky Q via HDMI and the soundbar is connected to the Sky Q via HDMI e-arc.

Is there anything I can do to be able to see the actual volume setting from the Sky Q box?

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Volume setting not displaying on TV screen when using Sky Q box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ksaro1 wrote:

I have a Sky Q main box, a Sony KE-55A8 smart TV and a Sony HT-X8500 soundbar. When using the TV on its own, i.e. not using the Sky Q's HDMI input, and I change the sound volume this setting shows on the TV's screen. When watching any Sky on the TV, when I change the sound volume using the Sky remote then the sound volume changes and the LEDs on the soundbar flash showing the change. However, the setting of the volume is not displayed on the TV. So I don't know if the volume is set to 10 or 40?

My TV is connected to the Sky Q via HDMI and the soundbar is connected to the Sky Q via HDMI e-arc.

Is there anything I can do to be able to see the actual volume setting from the Sky Q box?

hi @ksaro1 

I suspect you have set up the SKY remote to control the Sound Bar Sound itself rather than the TV Sound & it is the TV itself displaying the Sound level

If this is the case & you really want to see the visual setting then maybe you need to reset the remote to control the TV sound and make sure that the TV is set to control the sound of your sound bar

ksaro1
Topic Author

I suspect you have set up the SKY remote to control the Sound Bar Sound itself rather than the TV Sound & it is the TV itself displaying the Sound level

If this is the case & you really want to see the visual setting then maybe you need to reset the remote to control the TV sound and make sure that the TV is set to control the sound of your sound bar

The TV's audio input is set to Audio In, not TV. So when I change the volume on the TV, it is changing the soundbar's sound volume, i.e. the LEDs flash on the soundbar. Also, I have configured the Sky remote to control the TV. I don't see any menu section on Sky for configuring the remote to control the sound volume though. There's just the procedure where I set the Sky remote to pair with the TV, and in the procedure it asks if the Sky remote can change the TV volume as a check that the right Sony pairing is done (if the wrong Sony pairing is done then the volume doesn't change)

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@ksaro1 wrote:

The TV's audio input is set to Audio In, not TV. So when I change the volume on the TV, it is changing the soundbar's sound volume, i.e. the LEDs flash on the soundbar. Also, I have configured the Sky remote to control the TV. I don't see any menu section on Sky for configuring the remote to control the sound volume though. There's just the procedure where I set the Sky remote to pair with the TV, and in the procedure it asks if the Sky remote can change the TV volume as a check that the right Sony pairing is done (if the wrong Sony pairing is done then the volume doesn't change)

Oh well that blows my theory. 

In which case I am afraid I suspect it is just your TV not showing the volume setting when using an HDMI input. 

At least it is adjusting the actual volume - just not giving an indication of the level

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Hi @ksaro1 

Q boxes have no function for Volume control.

Volume control is direct Infrared control from the paired Q remote to TV.

Pairing the Bluetooth remotes pairs the Bluetooth to to Q box and then pairs the remote infrared for direct TV control (Volume, Mute,  On/Off and input select). If desired the Volume and Mute setting can be set to Soundbar/Amps (instead of TV) if they appear in Sky's database

The Q box HDMI Cec control can also be switched on to control Power on of connected devices.

ksaro1
Topic Author

@oldfella wrote:

:

:

If desired the Volume and Mute setting can be set to Soundbar/Amps (instead of TV) if they appear in Sky's database

:

:

What do you mean by this? Where do I find this setting?

FWIW - at the moment my Sky Q box will automatically turn on the TV if I select Home on the Sky remote or if I turn on the Sky Q box with the Sky remote. Also, if I hold the On/Off button on the Sky remote until a red led flashes on the remote this then turns the TV off (or on). Also when using the Volume Up/Down buttons on the Sky remote then the volume does go Up or Down. I just don't see the setting of what the actual volume is displayed on the TV. Also, my soundbar powers off/on with the TV being powered off/on. So, for example, if my TV is off, my Sky Q box is on (but not displaying on my TV) and I press the Home button on the Sky remote, then the TV and the soundbar both power on. Also. the Sky Q box is connected to the e-Arc HDMI ports on both the TV and the soundbar (and the soundbar's e-Arc support is enabled).

Hi @ksaro1 

When you pair the remote by pressing 1 & 3 together on the remote you are first asked to pair your TV.

After this pairing the setup asks if you want to pair an amp/Soundbar for volume instead of TV.

Try completly resetting your Bluetooth remote again and look for the setup following the TV pairing.
Press and hold 7 & 9 together on the remote until it’s led flashes four times.
Then make sure that you are pointing your remote at the Q box and press 1 & 3 together until the led flashes and follow onscreen instructions to re- pair.

ksaro1
Topic Author

@oldfella wrote:

:

:

After this pairing the setup asks if you want to pair an amp/Soundbar for volume instead of TV.

:

:

Ah! This rings a bell now. I think  I tried this when I paired the remote initially, but my Sony soundbar wasn't shown as an option? I'll look at this again...

ksaro1
Topic Author

@ksaro1 wrote:

Ah! This rings a bell now. I think  I tried this when I paired the remote initially, but my Sony soundbar wasn't shown as an option? I'll look at this again...

OK. Did the full remote reset, as instructed. I found both my Sony TV and soundbar models and selected to control the audio via my soundbar. Results are the same as before the reset. I can contol Volume Up/Down and mute, but nothing shows on the TV screen to indicate that this is happening. The control action works. And! When in the setup menu the audio volume does show on the TV screen when I test it to reply to the setup question if Yes/No. So, during the setup the TV is displaying the volume setting (some number and a bar) and yet when all is setup, this is no longer displayed. Odd?

Hi @ksaro1 

Bear in mind now that the infrared on the Sky Q remote is now set up to control the Volume of the Soundbar and not the TV.

During setup the initial pairing is for the TV and so it is reasonable that the volume is on the screen for the TV for Yes/no test.

However following on to set Volume to Soundbar instead of TV will override the yes/no setting for volume.   So I can understand why TV volume is not onscreen now.

Just to clarify from your earlier posts.

I don't understand what you mean by

"The TV's audio input is set to Audio In, not TV"

Do you mean that the TV audio is set to Audio system (Soundbar) and not to TV.

Also you said

"My TV is connected to the Sky Q via HDMI and the soundbar is connected to the Sky Q via HDMI e-arc."

I think you mean TV and not Sky Q.

Also I'm not sure what device you are using for Audio

ie TV Speakers or Soundbar.

I suspect it is Soundbar and so in this case the volume level would be for the Soundbar and not the TV Speakers and so it is possible that the Soundbar volume level would not be displayed on screen.   For this to happen the Soundbar must be capable of overlaying the graphic display on screen.   If it did happen it would likely be in a different location to the TV's own speaker volume graphic.

ksaro1
Topic Author

@oldfella wrote:

Hi @ksaro1 

Bear in mind now that the infrared on the Sky Q remote is now set up to control the Volume of the Soundbar and not the TV.

During setup the initial pairing is for the TV and so it is reasonable that the volume is on the screen for the TV for Yes/no test.

However following on to set Volume to Soundbar instead of TV will override the yes/no setting for volume.   So I can understand why TV volume is not onscreen now.

Just to clarify from your earlier posts.

I don't understand what you mean by

"The TV's audio input is set to Audio In, not TV"

Do you mean that the TV audio is set to Audio system (Soundbar) and not to TV.

Also you said

"My TV is connected to the Sky Q via HDMI and the soundbar is connected to the Sky Q via HDMI e-arc."

I think you mean TV and not Sky Q.

Also I'm not sure what device you are using for Audio

ie TV Speakers or Soundbar.

I suspect it is Soundbar and so in this case the volume level would be for the Soundbar and not the TV Speakers and so it is possible that the Soundbar volume level would not be displayed on screen.   For this to happen the Soundbar must be capable of overlaying the graphic display on screen.   If it did happen it would likely be in a different location to the TV's own speaker volume graphic.

To clarify:

1. My TV's audio output is set to use the Audio System not the TV's own speakers
  2. My TV is connected via its HDMI e-arc to the soundbar, which is in turn connected via HDMI to the Sky Q box. The soundbar has HDMI pass through enabled.

I can control the TV's volume with its own remote when playing either programs from its own in-built apps or when playing programs from the Sky Q box. In both cases I see the sound level number and bar displayed. When I use the Sky remote to control the volume when playing a Sky program, then neither the volume level number or bar are displayed.

This message was authored by g-mitch This message was authored by: g-mitch

I had the same issue with no displayed volume bar when viewing sky q.

solution for me:

disconnect power

sky q connected by hdmi to soundbar

soundbar hdmi to tv arc by hdmi

connect power to tv and soundbar

turn on and select tv digital or netflix so volume bar seen

sky q remote set to control tv only

turn on sky q should now see volume bar on tv

if this disappears while sky q is on disconnect tv hdmi arc and reconnect while everything on

issue is a handshake of hdmi connections

no earc on my set up

Hi @g-mitch 

I assume you are aware that you are replying to a post that is 9 months old!

This message was authored by g-mitch This message was authored by: g-mitch

Better late than never!!!!!!!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion