Discussion topic: Does Sky block customers with Three home broadband from buying and downloading ‘Buy to keep’ movies

This message was authored by Techwalla1954 This message was authored by: Techwalla1954

Does Sky block customers with Three home broadband from buying and downloading ‘Buy to keep’ movies

We have been having trouble buying movies from Sky Store in the 'buy and keep' category. After months of going back and forth between Sky and Three (who provide our internet via a 4G router) a Sky agent has suggested that Sky blocks Three for buy to keep movies but they could not categorically confirm.

So I am hoping that someone from Sky reads this and confirms or denies categorically this is happening.

So anyone want to answer on behalf of Sky?

regards

Techwalla

All Replies

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Re: Does Sky block customers with Three home broadband from buying and downloading ‘Buy to keep’ mov

Three allow global roaming - perhaps that's an issue?

As customers forum members can not speak for Sky!

Exiled in HH
Techwalla1954
Topic Author
This message was authored by Techwalla1954 This message was authored by: Techwalla1954

Re: Does Sky block customers with Three home broadband from buying and downloading ‘Buy to keep’ mov

Thanks for the response 

I have asked Sky Store but they have not been particularly helpful which is why I posted here.

I hope someone from Sky reads these forums and they might respond 

Frankly, I am finding Sky awful to deal with on this issue

I suspect they know more than they have told me hoping I will go away

regards

Techwalla

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

What is happening when you try to make a purchase and is this via a Sky Q box or online or via the Sky Store app ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@Techwalla1954if Sky are not responding with any detail in a private communication they are very unlikely to make any comment on a public discussion forum😉

Exiled in HH
Techwalla1954
Topic Author

Hi

@Exiled-in-HH - you are probably right - I was hoping it might cajole a reaction from Sky

@caesarome - when we try to purchase a 'new to buy' buy & keep, when we click on the movie we get an error message "We are experiencing some issues at the moment. Please try later" it has an error code EC500. 
We have no problem for any rental movies.

For instance the Barbie movie was available to both rent or buy. We could get the rental but the 'buy and keep' version resulted in the error message.

Sky Store initially said it was a latency issue but could not provide any guidance in terms of a maximum latency value. Then they said it was a security issue but would not say what security is needed.

A discussion with Sky technical help in Scotland suggested the blocking of Three by Sky which is why I asked if that is what they do.

we have a Sky+ HD box and don't wish to have Sky Q as the box has an RF output for both satellite and freeview as we use Sky-eye.

So our current system suits us apart from this one niggly issue.

Guess I'll have to ask Sky Store directly if they block Three. I think they do but for some reason are reluctant to confirm.

I can see nothing in their advertising or terms that says with certain internet service providers Sky Store 'buy and keep' will not work.

Does that explain it?

regards

Techwalla

Another way to purchase Buy and Keep film is via the Sky Store website or app so have you tried this as you can then send it to your Sky+ box.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Techwalla1954
Topic Author

We thought about that but the Sky Store app does not show movies to rent or buy - only those we have already purchased.

I think Exiled-in-HH may be near the mark, if the cellular service provider allows roaming Sky block it.

I would just like Sky to own up and confirm.

Then maybe we can find a work around otherwise I might be tempted to dispense with Sky entirely.

unless someone has a suggestion 🙂

regards

T

@Techwalla1954 wrote:

We thought about that but the Sky Store app does not show movies to rent or buy - only those we have already purchased.

What about the website:

www.skystore.com

You can purchase Buy and Keep films here.

Techwalla1954
Topic Author

Yes we can buy the movie there but when we press the 'send to Sky box' button it does not get downloaded to the Sky box.

I will ask Sky store again 

Techwalla1954
Topic Author

So we have a work around

browse and buy movies from skystore.com

it gets added to Sky Store app on a device

open Sky Store app on device and cast to TV

a little messier than just downloading it to the Sky+ HD box but hey ho

thanks for help

regards

Techwalla

Have you considered buying a Roku device, or have a LG TV, to access Sky Store?

Personally I have stopped buying from Sky Store as there is no prospect of Sky Store supporting UHD/HDR on non-Sky streaming devices.

Exiled in HH
Techwalla1954
Topic Author

Hi

No, we haven't 

We are content with the solution we have now.

Thanks for the help and advice

regards

Techwalla

This message was authored by Kevanski01 This message was authored by: Kevanski01

I usually buy & download from Amazon as it is always available from my account. Lost my purchases when I moved house and upgraded to sky glass. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion