Discussion topic: Costs for Sky stream

This message was authored by Jillyb15 This message was authored by: Jillyb15

Costs for Sky stream

So have been thinking about cancelling my Sky Q subscription and moving to Sky stream.  However, it is really difficult to find out any info re costs, etc., understanding that the apps and Sky's offerings will influence how much you pay.  When I search for "Stream" it tells me I'm a Sky Q customer and transfers me to Glass.  Any/ basic info available anywhere?

All Replies

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Re: Costs for Sky stream

The Stream prices are pretty standard and vary depending on whether you have a rolling contract or an 18 month one but I pay £26 a month for Ultimate TV and Netflix, £20 for Sky Sports and £11 for Cinema. UHD is £6, As Skipping is £5 and Whole Home another £12. 

we also get Discovery+ basic and Paramount+ included.

They do offers on UHD and Ad skipping though but you're probably better off calling the retention team and see what you can squeeze out of them.. they will try and push Glass though because it's a high margin product but isn't a very good TV based on reviews.

This message was authored by nmbailey This message was authored by: nmbailey

Prices rise next month. Sky Ultimate up to £26.50, Sky Cinema up to £13, Sky Sports up to £23, Whole Home up to £13. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@nmbailey wrote:

Prices rise next month. Sky Ultimate up to £26.50, Sky Cinema up to £13, Sky Sports up to £23, Whole Home up to £13. 

The price rises have already come into effect, they started on 1st April.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by nmbailey This message was authored by: nmbailey

It's also worth noting that the prices above will go up after 18 months when the initial contract expires (unless you are able to renegotiate). Mine goes up by another £14 at the end of my contract

This message was authored by Ed.B. This message was authored by: Ed.B.

If you go via an affiliate like Uswitch you can get it for Sky TV with netflix basic at £23 for 18 months. Sports and other add-ons are priced as above.

Or go via topcashback and get £59.50 cash back for the same deal. 

Although these are new customer offers and you may have to set up an account in someone else's name to get them as Sky are being idiots about giving long-term customers a decent deal right now

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Costs vary wildly with Sky. Depends on the day and who you speak to so it's impossible to give a definitive amount. 

Work out what you're comfortable paying for the services you think you'll use. It's very easy to overpay for a lot of content that simply won't be watched if you're not interested in it. 

If you're at the end of a current Sky Q contract then you're in a good position for negotiation. Sky prefer to keep customers than lose them so will often offer some sort of deal to keep you. Prices in general are on the increase however, so it may not be as much of a bargain as it potentially was before. 

Having said that, someone on another forum recently reported that they were offered Sky Stream for £1pm for 6 months on the 31 day rolling contract (for Entertainment & Netflix) to remain a customer after they asked to cancel. Now that is a bargain. Even I would probably have accepted that deal! 

If you do speak to Sky about a potential switch from Q to Stream just make sure you are clear with what you want. There is no direct comparison between the two as they are very different services with different channels on offer (less on Stream). Stream can charge extra for ad-skipping (something which is free on Q) and both will charge extra for UHD/Atmos. You need to factor in the additional cost of fast and stable broadband with Stream too - it won't function at all without it. 

@Padam_Padam wrote:

Costs vary wildly with Sky. Depends on the day and who you speak to so it's impossible to give a definitive amount. 

Work out what you're comfortable paying for the services you think you'll use. It's very easy to overpay for a lot of content that simply won't be watched if you're not interested in it. 

If you're at the end of a current Sky Q contract then you're in a good position for negotiation. Sky prefer to keep customers than lose them so will often offer some sort of deal to keep you. Prices in general are on the increase however, so it may not be as much of a bargain as it potentially was before. 

Having said that, someone on another forum recently reported that they were offered Sky Stream for £1pm for 6 months on the 31 day rolling contract (for Entertainment & Netflix) to remain a customer after they asked to cancel. Now that is a bargain. Even I would probably have accepted that deal! 

If you do speak to Sky about a potential switch from Q to Stream just make sure you are clear with what you want. There is no direct comparison between the two as they are very different services with different channels on offer (less on Stream). Stream can charge extra for ad-skipping (something which is free on Q) and both will charge extra for UHD/Atmos. You need to factor in the additional cost of fast and stable broadband with Stream too - it won't function at all without it. 

I'd love to get THAT offer!

I have cancelled as they were refusing to even match the £43 deal and my service ends on May 5th. No one has called to try and retain me. Which forum was this on?

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Ed.B. wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

I have cancelled as they were refusing to even match the £43 deal and my service ends on May 5th. No one has called to try and retain me. Which forum was this on?

It was on AV Forums. The offer was in the MySky app apparently.

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Ed.B. wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

It was on AV Forums. The offer was in the MySky app apparently.

Maybe that's only for people who had the rolling monthly deal. I have nothing in my sky and both in the app and online the 'manage' buttons are inactive

1000048048.jpg

Jillyb15
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jillyb15 This message was authored by: Jillyb15

Thanks all for your replies, I'm out of contract so it's up to me to get proactive and make a decision.  Torn between all the various options, including Now TV.

@Jillyb15 wrote:

Thanks all for your replies, I'm out of contract so it's up to me to get proactive and make a decision.  Torn between all the various options, including Now TV.

I'm always put off NowTV because they make you pay extra for HD and the interface is from the 1990s. 

@Ed.B. wrote:

@Jillyb15 wrote:

I'm always put off NowTV because they make you pay extra for HD and the interface is from the 1990s. 

I personally prefer NOW - it's much quicker to use and being a simple app means it's less cluttered than Entertainment OS. It's the quickest and easiest way to watch Sky content I find. Boost removes ads too, rather than you having to clumsily fast forward them like you do on a Stream puck. It's very easy to get a deal on it too. I pay £2.99pm for Entertainment and £2pm for Boost. If you're not fussed about UHD/Atmos then it's really very good. 

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Ed.B. wrote:

@Jillyb15 wrote:

I personally prefer NOW - it's much quicker to use and being a simple app means it's less cluttered than Entertainment OS. It's the quickest and easiest way to watch Sky content I find. Boost removes ads too, rather than you having to clumsily fast forward them like you do on a Stream puck. It's very easy to get a deal on it too. I pay £2.99pm for Entertainment and £2pm for Boost. If you're not fussed about UHD/Atmos then it's really very good. 

I care about the following thins in priority order

• Picture quality
  • Ability to 'watch from start'
  • Playlist, or better an actual hard disk
  • Price
  • Ad skipping

By the time I've added sports sub, netflix and boost, Now is more expensive than stream and seems to have less functionality

@Ed.B. wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Ed.B. wrote:

@Jillyb15 wrote:

I care about the following thins in priority order

• Picture quality
  • Ability to 'watch from start'
  • Playlist, or better an actual hard disk
  • Price
  • Ad skipping

By the time I've added sports sub, netflix and boost, Now is more expensive than stream and seems to have less functionality

Sports in UHD with HDR is basically Sky's USP now, but it's the one thing I personally have no interest in. Hopefully you'll manage to get some sort of deal to re-contract with Stream. I got half price Entertainment/Netflix for 9 months on a 31 day contract when I first asked to cancel last year. They wouldn't do any other deals after that though, so I just got rid of it completely. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion