Discussion topic: Picture issue - Judder Reduction

This message was authored by David164 This message was authored by: David164

Picture issue - Judder Reduction

Hi, I'm currently on sky stream and ever since we've bought a new TCL tv (Before we had LG) when i'm watching general tv programs i am occassionally experiencing like a ghostly/Jerky effect on people when they are moving on the screen i have been playing around with the Judder Reduction and Motion Clarity on my tv but can't seem to get it right. Could this be something to do with my tv itself or a faulty sky box ? and any suggestions please on how i can get the image to appear stable.

Currently have Judder Reduction on 10 and Motion Clarity ON

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: Picture issue - Judder Reduction

@David164 

Personally I'd always recommend turning all such motion processing settings off on your TV. They can often cause issues like ghosting and artefacting when not implemented well. 
The Sky Stream puck has a judder reduction setting for the third party apps which switches the output from 50hz to 60hz. This helps content shot at frame rates other than the standard UK 25fps to look less jerky. 

David164
Topic Author

Thanks for your advice much appreciated will have to experiement and try this out. 

David164
Topic Author

Turned Judder Reduction and Motion Clarity all off on my tv itself. How do i find the Judder Reduction app for third party apps on my tv so i can change the output from 50hz to 60hz can't seem to find it ? There is a Judder Reduction setting under picture in settings but my only options are on or off ?

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@David164 wrote:

There is a Judder Reduction setting under picture in settings but my only options are on or off ?

On your puck.

Go to settings > Picture> Judder reduction for TV apps 

Turn it ON.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Also, just doing a quick Google for tcl TVs

If your tv has it under its picture and/or advanced settings, turn off Action Smoothing.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@David164 wrote:

Turned Judder Reduction and Motion Clarity all off on my tv itself. How do i find the Judder Reduction app for third party apps on my tv so i can change the output from 50hz to 60hz can't seem to find it ? There is a Judder Reduction setting under picture in settings but my only options are on or off ?

That is your only option on the Stream puck. Judder reduction on switches the output to 60hz for all third party apps. Judder reduction off keeps the output at 50hz. BBC iPlayer will automatically switch to 50hz even if you have judder reduction on because all BBC output is 50hz. 

David164
Topic Author

Already has this setting switched to ON, Thanks.

David164
Topic Author

Only options on my TCL tv i have under the MOTION tab is Motion Clarity (ON/OFF) or Judder Reduction (0-10) 

David164
Topic Author

Yeah well my Judder Reduction on sky settings was already ON as present but i still noticed the Juddering yesterday when watching something on BBC I Player through apps on sky stream. Not sure what the best suggestion is for me really because i have tried and experiemented with different settings on both sky stream and on my tv but can't get thing right. Could the resolution have something to do with it ? 

@David164 wrote:

Yeah well my Judder Reduction on sky settings was already ON as present but i still noticed the Juddering yesterday when watching something on BBC I Player through apps on sky stream. Not sure what the best suggestion is for me really because i have tried and experiemented with different settings on both sky stream and on my tv but can't get thing right. Could the resolution have something to do with it ? 

Resolution shouldn't really affect it. If you don't pay extra for UHD/Atmos on your Stream puck then set the video output to 1080i, this is the native HD output and will allow your TV to upscale to 4K (assuming it's a 4K TV) which can often produce a slightly sharper image overall. 
Other than that just make sure you have all other picture processing options turned off on the TV's settings. 
One other thing to try is a comparison with the TV's own built in apps (assuming it has them.) Try watching a bit of the same show on iPlayer using the TV app and see if it judders in the same way. Are the picture settings the same for both the TV apps and the HDMI input for your Stream puck? 

David164
Topic Author

Okay i've set picture resolution to 1080i 

All picture settings on the tv itself turned off including dynamic contast , dynamic colour , digital noise redution , Gradation Clear etc

And yes it still judders in the same way watched an episode of the same program on i player (It could be an issue with that specific program possibly ?) 

what do you mean by are the picture settings the same on both the stream puck and TV Apps ?

@David164 wrote:

Okay i've set picture resolution to 1080i 

All picture settings on the tv itself turned off including dynamic contast , dynamic colour , digital noise redution , Gradation Clear etc

And yes it still judders in the same way watched an episode of the same program on i player (It could be an issue with that specific program possibly ?) 

what do you mean by are the picture settings the same on both the stream puck and TV Apps ?

Many TV's will have different default picture settings for each HDMI input and for the internal tuner and apps. You can sometimes copy the settings between inputs (I don't know if TCL allow this) or you can set them for each input and leave them. You may also have to tweak the settings for different types of content BBC iPlayer for example has some UHD HDR content which uses the HLG format of HDR. You will likely need to tweak the settings for such content to look as good as possible. 

David164
Topic Author

Oh i see yeah not sure they do allow it as far as i know, Will see how it goes while watching live tv tonight because i seem to notice it more while using apps such as BBC i player compared to content on normal tv. You might be right though i might look into I player settings to see if i can adjust anything there 

I will let you know probably tomorrow how things are looking 

Anyway i've switched all motion clarity and Judder Reduction off on the tv itself like you said so hopefully i'll notice a difference.

when watching stuff on apps though like BBC iplayer i'm still experiencing juddering though. 

David164
Topic Author

I watched programs last night and experienced little change i am still experiencing this juddering effect. I don't know whether you know anything about this but sometimes when i change settings on my tv itself it comes up with a message stating that if i change a certain picture setting it could mess with my energy efficiency ? could this be something connected to what i am talking about ? when i watch shows the tv doesn't freeze or anything it's just throughout the show when people are moving across the screen you get this judder/jerky effect as they are moving it's not normal 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion