Discussion topic: Puck keeps freezing at least 2-3 times a day

This message was authored by Markt336 This message was authored by: Markt336

Puck keeps freezing at least 2-3 times a day

Remote doesn't work when puck freezes then you have to unplug it to reset it

Best Answers
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

Re: Puck keeps freezing at least 2-3 times a day

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Markt336 .

As you are connected by Ethernet you must turn off WiFi in your settings as you have suggested (Settings / Network / Advance settings).  If after turning off WiFi you are still having issues it will probably be that your network is struggling.  

One of the main reasons for freezing is the quality and speed of the network signal being received at the TV/puck and not that being received at the router.  This can be checked with the Netflix App (Get help > Check network).  The minimum speed recommended for HD is 25mbps and 30mbps for UHD (add 5mbps to each if you have an additional puck).

Note the Ethernet port on the Stream puck only supports 100mbps so don't expect any highert speed when you run the Netflix Speed test.

Although the conventional wisdom suggests Ethernet is best some people have had more success with WiFi so it's always worth a try.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

Markt336
Topic Author

My wifi was on and i am running ethernet. 
i will see how it goes now wifi switched off thank you all for your help 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

Hi @Markt336 .

As you are connected by Ethernet you must turn off WiFi in your settings as you have suggested (Settings / Network / Advance settings).  If after turning off WiFi you are still having issues it will probably be that your network is struggling.  

One of the main reasons for freezing is the quality and speed of the network signal being received at the TV/puck and not that being received at the router.  This can be checked with the Netflix App (Get help > Check network).  The minimum speed recommended for HD is 25mbps and 30mbps for UHD (add 5mbps to each if you have an additional puck).

Note the Ethernet port on the Stream puck only supports 100mbps so don't expect any highert speed when you run the Netflix Speed test.

Although the conventional wisdom suggests Ethernet is best some people have had more success with WiFi so it's always worth a try.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

When disabling the WiFi in the network settings, it's always worth rebooting your puck after doing so (by unplugging it for a minute).

Ive seen in the past the WiFi not actually disabling itself when it's turned off in the settings without the puck being rebooted.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

I have had the same issue and I am using Ethernet. My broadband is over 500mbps

I spoke to sky last night and they were very helpful and have said they have had lots of people saying about the issues. We did a reset yesterday and seems better. We will see how it goes and if it carries on they will possibly look as swapping the puck 

Markt336
Topic Author

Yes that seems to have worked thank you very much everyone for your help 👍

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion