Discussion topic: QS025 Lip Sync Issues

This message was authored by Littletaffia This message was authored by: Littletaffia

Re: Sky puck lip sync issue

eARC is turning out to be as problematic with handshake issues as was the older ARC. Some LG sets are particularly prone. There shouldn't be lip sync problems with a HDMI connection, there maximum audio is Dolby Digital Plus which is still a lossy SD format.

I only get issues with Sky programmes themselves. On the rare occasions I used the Netflix app lip sync has been good. The Apple TV+ puck is much more stable and of course Netflix has Atmos on that platform. I've actually got Sky at 100ms for lip sync. My pathway is all external streaming and disc hardware via HDMI to my Denon AVR X6500 and then to the TV.

This message was authored by Spannerman007 This message was authored by: Spannerman007

I wish Sky would put as much effort into providing a flawless service as they do into charging a extortionate fee !! 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

If it's any consolation we're not alone in noticing the weaknesses of these pucks. Owners of the XiOne, Xumo Stream Box & Hubbl Hub in the USA & Australia (all of which are re-badged Stream pucks with identical hardware running Entertainment OS) all point out the same things many of us have moaned about:

• Switching channels in the guide can be slow
  • Opening apps can be slow
  • Occasional glitches/freezing in the UI
  • Reports of voice sync issues with audio
  • No content frame matching

This is lifted from an Australian forum where the Hubbl hub has recently launched for $99. Customers there own the box & have access to free to air channels via the aerial socket at the same time as the streamed channels. They also make a big deal about stacking third party app subscriptions for a discount, something Virgin do here already. 

The fact still remains that the Stream puck/XiOne/Hubbl or whatever you want to call it is an adequate, functional device. It's running on a mobile processor from 2017. It's never going to be amazingly good or fast at anything. It's perfectly good for many people & not so good for others. If it was fatally flawed then it wouldn't continue to be mass-produced and released in other markets overseas. 

Sensitivity to lip sync can be a deal breaker for many people though, and unfortunately I'm one of them so I got rid of my Stream puck a few weeks ago. Sky will need to improve their hardware before I would consider returning as a customer. 

This message was authored by Billy04 This message was authored by: Billy04

Out of sync

Since getting streem my tv has bin out of sync with my sonis bar can anyone hel lease

This message was authored by EM677 This message was authored by: EM677

Sound out of sync

My sound seems to constantly go out of sync after a few minutes. I turn off and on again and it works, then a couple of mins later it's out again.

I swapped the puc for one upstairs that we don't use that often and it stopped doing it for a few months, then all of a sudden, it's started again. 
Nothing seems to work and it's driving me nuts.... please help!!

This message was authored by Steve888 This message was authored by: Steve888

If I connect the puck directly to the Sony TV and use the TV speakers there is still a difference. It's very noticeable on auto and on the Dolby Digital modes. 

PCM Stereo is close to synced but it's still a bit out. It's not really what I expected to be honest. 

Everything else (Cube, Xbox)  works perfectly.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Steve888 wrote:

If I connect the puck directly to the Sony TV and use the TV speakers there is still a difference. It's very noticeable on auto and on the Dolby Digital modes. 

PCM Stereo is close to synced but it's still a bit out. It's not really what I expected to be honest. 

Everything else (Cube, Xbox)  works perfectly.

I found the same. There was no way to maintain effective and constant lip sync from any source on the puck, regardless of audio format. I tried different cables, different HDMI ports, different TV's, different AVR's, ARC, eARC, etc. Nothing was consistent. 

I still stick with my theory that it's got something to do with the server-based hosting of all the apps on Stream/Glass. It's adding latency at some point of the stream delivery and the puck just can't decode & output both in sync, reliably, for any length of time. 

Those who claim they have perfect lip-sync at all times from their puck(s) are perhaps hosted on a different Sky server to others. A less busy one perhaps? The problem being, as more and more people sign up to Stream/Glass, the busier these servers are going to get... 

Your FireTV Cube and XBox both use on-board storage for apps (and use faster processors), therefore reducing lag and therefore causing no lip-sync issues. I find the same on my Firestick and Apple TV 4K box - both of which never lose sync. 

This message was authored by Paulinexx22 This message was authored by: Paulinexx22

Sound out of sync with picture

Sound out of sync with picture

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Q25 Lip Sync Issue

Sync issue on all channels today since my Puck updated to Q25. 

I've tried a restart, reset and software reinstall and the issue persists. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

This message was authored by FunkyL This message was authored by: FunkyL

Yup, getting this too.  We've been suffering from the lip synch issue for a couple of  days now (sometimes it is out by minutes).  Tried total reset (router, puck etc) which does absolutely nothing.

Streaming services are fine ... it is just "live" TV that is impacted.#

Puck is connected to router via wired, so it is not a Wifi issue.

We've on'y been on Sky Stream for a few months now having moved across from Virgin... we new the broadband would not be as fast (we are FTTC re Sky), but I have to say the issues with TV are appalling - a massive step down for anyone else thinking of switching.  So far, Stream cannot play UHD streaming services in the evenings (despite advertising that they can), and now live TV is a mess too.  

This message was authored by GeordieJD This message was authored by: GeordieJD

Totally agree - my broadband is Sky. We moved to a new poperty in November 2022. For 16 months it has worked without a hitch. It's now not working using excatly the same set-up and a lot of other people seem to be having the same issue at the same time. I can correct it by adjusting my tv set up thene a few hours later it's back.

Sky Stream and Sky Broadband are not working in sync.

Sky need to resolve it

This message was authored by Trindy This message was authored by: Trindy

Sound is not co ordinating with picture

Every now and then my sound and vision coordination jumps out of sync. I've tried re booting but nothing seems to help

This message was authored by Wesley2 This message was authored by: Wesley2

Having the sync problem too! Only started a few days ago! All worked ok for 12 months!

any point in talking direct to Sky?

This message was authored by Spannerman007 This message was authored by: Spannerman007

Personally I would say no. The stock answer is that it's a problem your end , or that they have not heard of anyone else having the same problem....

This message was authored by Mill4 This message was authored by: Mill4

Sky stream sound lagging

The sound is behind by a couple of seconds. Swapped puck and seems to be okay on the other just the one lagging

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion