Discussion topic: Sky Stream - absolute trash ?!

This message was authored by Stelios74 This message was authored by: Stelios74

Sky Stream - absolute trash ?!

I've posted previously on a separate thread about my frustrations with Sky Stream, but really this is just ridiculous. In my experience (which I aapreciate won't be the same for everyone) Sky Stream fundamentally DOES NOT WORK !!! I have ultrafast (>500 mbps) broadband and am on my second puck (hardwired to my router). Yet still I have daily issues including the following:

1. Programmes disappear from Playlist

2. Sky Stream unable to determine which episodes (or part episodes) of a programme I've watched which makes accurately continuing a series or programme impossible. 
3. Apps (iPlayer, ALL 4, itv hub etc) fail to load or crash over and over again.  

To my simple brain, (at least) half of Sky Streams selling point is the fact that it groups all apps together in a Sky 'front end', and unlike my Smart TV everything is available in one easy location. Couple this with a conventional EPG and you're in dreamland right ?! Well, no actually, because more often than not the apps just don't work. My Smart TV deals with apps 1000% more efficiently/effectively than Sky Stream, which by comparison is slow, inaccurate, clunky and just doesn't work properly. 

How embarrassing that Sky have pushed this product out to market with either little or no User Acceptance Testing.  And this is the future 🤦🏻‍♂️

To their credit Sky have been decent in dealing with my issues and recognise the fact that some people have unexplained and unresolvable issues. What they can't/won't due is charge me less each month for a service that does half of what it purports to (generally the EPG and live TV work okay) on the basis that my 'deal' is so heavily discounted. This leaves a bad taste. Sky offered the 'deal' and I accepted it. 
Received a spurious email a few days ago introducing Entertainment OS to Sky Stream but other than very generic marketing waffle it doesn't tell me whether or how the service is about to improve...., I have my doubts. 

Rant over. 

All Replies

This message was authored by RJames123 This message was authored by: RJames123

Re: Sky Stream - absolute trash ?!

Hi.   I have Sky Stream and attempt to watch Golf on it.   Not live. I like to watch a full tournament over however long it takes me.  Something i should be able to do by adding it to my playlist. 
The first tournament I tried to watch went into a 5th day (normally 4).  Whilst they kept announcing the 5th day coverage they did not include it on my playlist so I tournament I watched nearly to the end I couldn't watch the final part. 

the next tournament I watched , I was watching the second day when the third and fourth disappeared.  
At this time I made an online complaint. I had no email response, other than the acknowledgement. I know they did try to ring me once but amazingly the final two days reappeared and I was able to watch them. 
now moved onto another tournament. After starting to watch it I noticed that two of the eight sessions were missing, the later session of days two and four, the latter of which of course is the end.  After complaining three days ago, no response., I complained again this morning and now the whole tournament has disappeared.  

this is quite the most appalling system that we have ever had. How can they justify selling and charging for it?   Clearly I am not the only one with this kind of problem.  

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RJames123 

Following a recent update you should be able to cloud record from some channels by adding the golf to your playlist from the tv guide (rather than searching or adding it from a tile) 

it would probably be wise to add each day or episode from the guide individually to ensure you capture all.

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on

Thanks jporch

However apart from the 5th day of the first tournament they have all been captured.

absolutely certainly all four days of the second tournament were there. Then two disappeared and then came back. 

and the third tournament definitely six of the eight sessions were captured. I can't be absolutely sure of the other two but now all have disappeared.  

I will try your suggestion for future tournaments certainly. But I will not be holding my breath.  

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

For balance I have sky stream, love it and have no issues. Positive mindset always helps, I feel some are looking for issues 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Ridiculous comment.  

Programmes that are supposed to be there disappear. 

That is fact.  

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@RJames123 

For every criticism, however minor, there is always someone who will claim that Sky Stream is perfect. It isn't. No streaming service is. 
A lot depends on expectation of what the service is and how you interact with it. Some people have low expectations or are new to the idea of streaming, or just like to be methodically slow in how they interact with their technology. For them Sky Stream can be revelatory and mind-blowingly amazing. 
For others (me included) it can be endlessly frustrating, painfully slow, woefully illogical and wildly over-priced. 
As I've said before, the only way to find out how you feel about it is to try it. Now that you have and feel negatively towards it, it's quite easy to cancel and try a different streaming service - that's what I did - there are plenty of alternative options out there now. 

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Padam_Padam  If you are no longer a Sky customer why do you bother posting on here. The message board is to support customers not to criticise the platform. Just curious 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Jason+Golding wrote:

@Padam_Padam  If you are no longer a Sky customer why do you bother posting on here. The message board is to support customers not to criticise the platform. Just curious 

'Cause I'm a helpful kinda guy... just helping others make informed decisions, and assisting those with technical queries. I was a customer for 18+ years so have experience of most Sky products...

I don't criticise all the time. If you look at many of my posts I am actively helping Q, Glass & Stream customers. But sometimes the best solution for some customers is to look at alternative providers. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion