Discussion topic: Sky stream , honest review

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Re: Sky stream , honest review

Yep. Same here. The greed of this company is totally immoral. I want out but I'm so limited. I think I'll just go get a new tv with freeview and get a fire stick. Sick of the greedy companies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I'll just go get a new tv with freeview 

Given that digital terrestrial television broadcasting almost certainly has a limited future, a television with both Freeview Play and hardware support for the upcoming Freely app may be a better investment.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Thanx. I really appreciate your reply. I am still researching but I am done with (Removed) sky. I've found the right tv. Or at least I think I have. Thanx for the mention of Freely. Did not know about that 

Moderator note: Removed unfounded allegations.

This message was authored by Loue This message was authored by: Loue

Does everyone think that a refresh apps tab would be much better at the top of the screen rather than deep in the settings menu

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Loue wrote:

Does everyone think that a refresh apps tab would be much better at the top of the screen rather than deep in the settings menu

It needs that or the ability to fully force close any apps left running in the background. The whole server-based app hosting on Glass/Stream just doesn't function well enough without something like this. Customers shouldn't have to be turning these devices off at the wall every day just to get them to function reasonably reliably. 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Loue wrote:

Not really.

All settings should in my view remain together.

I've not had any issues with Sky Stream apps and did not either with my eight years of Sky Q.

Now into my eight week of using Sky Stream.

Have not had any problems with any of the apps on Sky Stream.

Use ITVx, C4, C5 apps, along with Youtube, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount+, Spotify daily along with a lot of cloud recording/ watching  each day and linear TV live channel viewing watching across the channels in hd and hdr.

Not had one glitch with any of the apps, whether using them individually from the home or Sky Stream menus,, launching form playlist additions or from my continue watching.

Have also occasionally used BBC iPlayer, mostly for Beechgrove Garden, do not really watch  much else form BBC, also with no issue.

As well as launching apps from the Home or Sky Stream menus, often launch other apps while within apps on Stream, using the voice option.

As well as not having any glitches with apps, not had any problems with Stream at all. No lockups or any need to reboot the puck.

Im on Sky broadband Uktrafast+ (Latency 4-5ms, 523-525 Mbps download, 72-74 Mbps upload). Netflix speed test via my main wifi puck shows 290-330. Have another puck on ethernet that reports speed in the 90Mbps via Netflix speed test.

I do generally exit apps using the Sky Stream back key until it asks from the app to leave with an option, but also do use the Sky Stream remote home key to exit an app. I'm  sure that the first option may help for some customers with issues and with apps to clear up some of the cache sometimes that may cause issues.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Loue Personally I am happy with the App refresh where it is.  In 2 years I have probably only refreshed my Apps 4 times and probably 2 of those times was not due to any issues but rather me thinking it was about time they were refreshed.  I always close the apps properly using the back button until the exit button appears of I end up back on my home screen.

Admittedly it can be tricky to find the first time you want to use it but I suspect most people will  within a few days of getting Glass/Stream go through the menus to see what options are available to them.  

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

I use stream everyday for my playlist but everyday the playlist needs a refresh so I can watch the previous days playlist 

Cheers but I've decided. Sky and I will be parting company as soon as possible. I'm out today to get new tv. Not taking stream. There are cheaper options. I'm happy to give up one or two things to save money. Hundreds of channels I never watch,  and platforms all taking the Michael and applying pressure. I'm a pensioner. I'm done with them. They're just stealing from me

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Loue wrote:

I use stream everyday for my playlist but everyday the playlist needs a refresh so I can watch the previous days playlist 

I don't think the refresh apps option has anything to do with the playlist (if that's what you are referring to)

im not even sure you can refresh the playlist .....

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on

It does as it refreshes apps - sometimes I can see something on my playlist but it won't play until I refresh 

@Loue wrote:

It does as it refreshes apps - sometimes I can see something on my playlist but it won't play until I refresh 

Ah .... I presume you mean when you try to play something from your playlist the relevant app won't open ?

that's very odd ... it's not happened on my glass or pucks. In fact I don't think I've used the refresh apps in the two years I've been using them. I did have some issues with the 5 app the first time I signed in but a quick plug out solved that. 

is it one particular app that's a problem ? It's my understanding that the refresh app settings not instant but takes several hours to complete in the background 

43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Loue wrote:

I suspect the cause of this is because you aren't exiting the apps. What can happen on the system is if you don't exit the apps eventually the device can ran out of memory and thus won't play any shows from the apps until you reboot the puck by unplugging it for a couple of minutes.

I'd suspect your refreshing of the apps is actually in the background closing the apps and thus freeing up memory, although the rebooting method is usually quicker than waiting for the app refresh to complete.

I'd suggest regularly exiting each apps (this can be done just using the back button a couple of times when they are open, or a couple of the apps will have an exit button on their main home screen).

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

@Loue  As @MarkGoldsmith points out I close all my apps after each use .... including Netflix where you have to go to the "exit Netflix" icon

force of habit from working with windows PCs most of my working life 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Jporch316 wrote:

@Loue  As @MarkGoldsmith points out I close all my apps after each use .... including Netflix where you have to go to the "exit Netflix" icon

force of habit from working with windows PCs most of my working life 

I start doing this very recently, to avoid the exact issue i mentioned above which was annoying me every couple of weeks when i couldn't watch anything via any of the apps.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion