Discussion topic: Connecting a slightly older, non-wifi enabled Sky box to the internet - WIRELESSLY

This message was authored by CarlP This message was authored by: CarlP

Connecting a slightly older, non-wifi enabled Sky box to the internet - WIRELESSLY

Hi All!

I have a slightly older Sky box that is not wifi enabled, but does have an ethernet and telephone line port.

However, running an ethernet cable to the box from my router would involve a 40 metre cable and a massively complicated and disruptive process - the Sky box is in an upstairs bedroom.

Will this box support some sort of ethernet to wireless dongle or connector?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

CarlP

Best Answers
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Re: Connecting a slightly older, non-wifi enabled Sky box to the internet - WIRELESSLY

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CarlP wrote:

Hi Mark, thank you for your reply!

Do you mean the devices plugged into the power sockets?

I will look into these, but in the meantime, would you happen to know if a smaller/neater ethernet to wireless dongle/connector could be used? Would the Sky box ethernet port supply enough power to run one of these - obviously not mains power?

Kind Regards,

CarlP

Google wifi access point 🙂

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Connecting a slightly older, non-wifi enabled Sky box to the internet - WIRELESSLY

Have you considered powerline adaptors?

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Use a wifi access point and connect to that via ethernet

CarlP
Topic Author
This message was authored by CarlP This message was authored by: CarlP

I will look into these, but in the meantime, would you happen to know if a smaller/neater ethernet to wireless dongle/connector could be used? Would the Sky box ethernet port supply enough power to run one of these - obviously not mains power?

Kind Regards,

CarlP

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

@CarlP wrote:

Kind Regards,

CarlP

Google wifi access point 🙂

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@CarlP wrote:

Kind Regards,

CarlP

I doubt the Sky box ethernet port would be capable of supplying any current to power a wifi dongle.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@CarlP

Search Amazon or Ebay for one of these - 

Sky Wi-Fi Adapter SC201

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@CarlP 

As @oj01 indicates, Sky once had a device specifically intended for that purpose: these are available for a few pounds on eBay.  There are two models: one is USB to WiFi and the other (which you'd want) is ethernet to WiFi.

1000000151.jpg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion