Discussion topic: Loss of channel 512 GB news

This message was authored by Sandra2097 This message was authored by: Sandra2097

Re: Loss of channel 512 GB news

I also lost GB News (sky Q, channel 512) 

I powerd down my sky box for 10mins and then rebooted..

now its working again...

so maybe try this first BEFORE getting in a local engineer....

im not sold on it being a "dish realignment",  because if that was the case, then a full power down reset would NOT have fixed it..but it did fix it.

..maybe its a generic reply msg from sky? 

When was the last time sky gave advice that actually "fixed" anything...

Good day to you all 🙂

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sandra2097 No Sky staff have replied in this thread, we are ALL customers here

This message was authored by Evie15 This message was authored by: Evie15

Sandra..thank you...just tried that but still not working 😞

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Sandra2097 wrote:

I also lost GB News (sky Q, channel 512) 

I powerd down my sky box for 10mins and then rebooted..

now its working again...

so maybe try this first BEFORE getting in a local engineer....

im not sold on it being a "dish realignment",  because if that was the case, then a full power down reset would NOT have fixed it..but it did fix it.

..maybe its a generic reply msg from sky? 

When was the last time sky gave advice that actually "fixed" anything...

Good day to you all 🙂

If your dish is misaligned, a power restart will only resolve it temporarily.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sandra2097 @Evie15 

As noted above, GB News switched satellite on November 8th, from Astra 2F to 2G, for wider European coverage presumably driven by commercial considerations.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/gb-news-sat-switch-improves-european-reception/ 

Sky (and Freesat) boxes received an update for the necessary change in tuning, but some may have missed it or not applied it, and a restart should sort that out.

This is separate to any pre-existing alignment issue which the satellite switch may reveal: as indicated in the article the standard 'zone 1' UK dish now receives a more marginal (lit. 'at the edge') signal.

No conspiracy (sorry, Neil), just physics.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

We have turned it all off a few times now..just done it again and the wifi etc still can't get it..will prob have to try phoning Sky again but its hard talking to a robot!! thanks all for the help 🙂

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Evie15 

As previously mentioned Sky won't send out an engineer so I don't know how much advice they'll provide over the phone other than to upgrade to Sky Q. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

When I was on the phone to Sky the other day, with the robot!, it said about booking an Engineer but I put the phone down..we do have Sky Protect. I just want to speak to a human to explain its not all channels but it seems to impossible to do that..so annoying!

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Evie15 

You need to contact Sky Protect then. No point in contacting Sky further. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Right..I have just spoken to a human at Sky..she tried to fix it from her end and it didn't work. So we are therefore now upgrading to Sky Q..which is working out cheaper then we currently pay so finally got a result. Thanks everyone for all your help.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Evie15 wrote:

So we are therefore now upgrading to Sky Q..which is working out cheaper then we currently pay so finally got a result.

Just keep in mind that if the root cause was a dish alignment issue then that needs resolving by the Sky installer: this should be done as part of the installation anyway because the LNB on the dish needs changing for Q.

I'd suggest checking that the particular channel (and the others mentioned in this thread) are being received OK before they leave the premises.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Brewergirl This message was authored by: Brewergirl

I have got this same problem with  512-GB News , just on the 1 channel, even if it is recorded, whole programs are off then work as normal for others. I know a lot of my friends who watch GB news have also complained about the same thing. so it is not a one off or saying satalite needs re-aligning.Even on clear days. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Brewergirl wrote:

I have got this same problem with  512-GB News , just on the 1 channel, even if it is recorded, whole programs are off then work as normal for others. I know a lot of my friends who watch GB news have also complained about the same thing. so it is not a one off or saying satalite needs re-aligning.Even on clear days. 

What are your Signal Strengths/Qualities? Take a look at the link below:

See question Q11 in my Sky Plus F⋅A⋅Q
This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@Brewergirl wrote:

GB News changed transponder recently to favour viewers in Europe (not sure why, maybe it was cheaper).  https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/gb-news-sat-switch-improves-european-reception/

This has caused problems for some UK viewers. It is now broadcast on the same frequency as other low budget channels such as EarthXTV (180) and Loveworld  (585). When you have problems with GB News check those channels to see if they're affected too.

In most cases like this there is a slight dish alignment fault and you will need an engineer visit to correct it.

We have recently upgraded to Sky Q because of this problem and we now have GBNews back..the Engineer also said the signal to our dish was v.low so moved it 🙂

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion