Discussion topic: Sky + HD box upgrade to Sky Q

This message was authored by Yorkyman55 This message was authored by: Yorkyman55

Sky + HD box upgrade to Sky Q

I've received both an email and text recently inviting me to upgrade my Sky + HD box to Sky Q for free.

In the email it says :-

"We’re writing to let you know that your Sky+ TV box will no longer receive software enhancements"

May sound like a silly question but does this also mean Sky + HD boxes will no longer receive software enhancements from now on ? 

I was just  going to upgrade to Sky Q but I'm seeing posts on here from people who are regretting upgrading because they have had nothing but problems with it. Also I don't like the fact that the reminder function isn't on Sky Q.

Thank you

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky + HD box upgrade to Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Yorkyman55 

The communication from Sky is a rather cheeky red herring.  There are no relevant 'updates' for the Sky+ HD platform because it's inherently limited by its own operating system and hardware: it was never going to output UHD or host apps, for example.

Given all satellite television broadcasting to the UK may cease before the end of this decade, it's likely that Sky+ HD will remain viable until then and become obsolete alongside Sky Q.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Sky+ boxes haven't received software updates for a few years now apart from one to fix the daylight time saving issue a year or so back.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Yorkyman55
Topic Author
This message was authored by Yorkyman55 This message was authored by: Yorkyman55

@caesarome thank you. Does that also applies to +HD boxes ?

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Yorkyman55 wrote:

@Yorkyman55  yes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Yorkyman55 wrote:

Yes @Yorkyman55 , when I said Sky+ I actually meant your box !

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Yorkyman55
Topic Author

@SKY1992bf  Thank you. Doesn't sound like I have much choice but to go over to Sky Q then

Yorkyman55
Topic Author

@caesarome ok thank you

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Yorkyman55  The boxes will continue to work and receive channels perfectly well for a few years yet they just won't receive software updates 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
Yorkyman55
Topic Author

@SKY1992bfthank you. I will probably try and watch some more of the recordings I have  whilst the box is still working and then upgrade later 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi @Yorkyman55 

If your box is working then there should be no hurry to switch over

Whilst the letter .is aimed at getting people to switch the lack of updates is of little consequence - SKY Q itself only gets limited updates these days

You may have read these but in case you haven't you may wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

Yorkyman55
Topic Author

@nigea99 Thank you. I had read the notes that you have posted previously and whilst most of them probably wouldn't apply to me it's good to know in advance. I think that I will carry on with the HD box at this moment in time as it does everything I want it to and just move when I am forced to. From what you've said it doesn't sound there are any immediate plans for the platform to be to removed

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Yorkyman55 

The communication from Sky is a rather cheeky red herring.  There are no relevant 'updates' for the Sky+ HD platform because it's inherently limited by its own operating system and hardware: it was never going to output UHD or host apps, for example.

Given all satellite television broadcasting to the UK may cease before the end of this decade, it's likely that Sky+ HD will remain viable until then and become obsolete alongside Sky Q.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Yorkyman55
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood  When I initially received the email I thought that maybe +HD would be only around for another year or so but that's probably what they want the customers to think so they rush out, upgrade and hopefully top it up with a few extras aswell. After reading the replies on here I'm happy to continue as I am for the time been with my HD box. If they were to offer me a monthly financial incentive on top  of the free Installation for Sky Q  then I'd probably consider it but that's highly unlikely as I only have the Signature package anyway.

Spoiler

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion