Discussion topic: sky SD box film/sport packs switch off

This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

sky SD box film/sport packs switch off

hi guys not that it makes any difference to me but was wondering do think the SD box films/sports pack switch off will be at the start of may?

==============================
= Sky+ SD boxes x4 (pace bskyb 3100) ===

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: sky SD box film/sport packs switch off

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HeathHayle wrote:

hi guys not that it makes any difference to me but was wondering do think the SD box films/sports pack switch off will be at the start of may?

@HeathHayle 

As far as I am aware they are not switchig off any SD channels but changing their transmission method (from DVB-S to DVB-S2)

Whilst in the UK Cinema & Sports subs are (now) in HD as standard, I think Ireland still charge for HD so some customers may still rely on the SD versions - they would need to change this to switch off the SD versions

HeathHayle
Topic Author
This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

@nigea99 sorry I was referring to this "

Sky channels closing for SD boxes

We’re changing how we deliver our TV services. This means if you have an SD box, you'll need to upgrade to continue watching Sky channels.

In May, you'll lose access to:

• Sky Sports channels.
  • Sky Cinema channels.
  • MUTV channel.

Without the upgrade, any subscriptions you have to these channels will be cancelled."

I was just wondering when in may do people think this might be obviously there is no way to know for sure until sky gives a date

@HeathHayle wrote:

@nigea99 sorry I was referring to this "

Sky channels closing for SD boxes

We’re changing how we deliver our TV services. This means if you have an SD box, you'll need to upgrade to continue watching Sky channels.

• Sky Sports channels.
  • Sky Cinema channels.
  • MUTV channel.

Without the upgrade, any subscriptions you have to these channels will be cancelled."

I was just wondering when in may do people think this might be obviously there is no way to know for sure until sky gives a date

The key bit here is in the first line.

We think that the messaging/wording which relates to the SD boxes being unable to work with  the channels when they switch transmission method has led to some confusion

The change in transmission method means that SD boxes won't work but the HD boxes which already work with that transmission method (already used by the HD channels) will be able  to  be used

HeathHayle
Topic Author

I am sorry but I am taking about SD boxes not HD boxes I was just wondering if it was going to be at the start of may just wondered what peoples thoughts was on the date

@HeathHayle wrote:

I am sorry but I am taking about SD boxes not HD boxes I was just wondering if it was going to be at the start of may just wondered what peoples thoughts was on the date

Sorry I don't know the specific dates for any switches of transmission method causing them to stop working on the SD boxes (which is not quite the same as the channels being switched off ) 

HeathHayle
Topic Author

I think we are talking at cross purposes sky have said "if you have an SD box, you'll need to upgrade to continue watching Sky channels.

• Sky Sports channels.
  • Sky Cinema channels.
  • MUTV channel.

I was just wondering do people think this will be at the start of may?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

I don't think there's any value in speculating, to be honest. It could just as well be the 31st as the 1st, or conceivably even later. I doubt even Sky have a specific date planned and even if they did, knowing Sky it would probably change!

HeathHayle
Topic Author

lol fair enough

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@nigea99,

Correct me if I'm wrong but thought Sky + boxes could only decode DVB-S, so if they change all the transponders to DVB-S2 it will essentially kill all the SD boxes.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

@nigea99 

I think they will kill SD entirely,

For reasons I will not discuss on this forum,

If you google INS7E 0960/0963/0961 you will understand why.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@ThePope27 wrote:

@nigea99,

Correct me if I'm wrong but thought Sky + boxes could only decode DVB-S, so if they change all the transponders to DVB-S2 it will essentially kill all the SD boxes.

That is exactly what is going to happen

Only Sky+HD boxes have the ability to decode DVB-S2 so only Sky+SD boxes will be affected

@Annie+UK 

I think there's a few sky+hd models that don't decode DVB-S2 as well.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@ThePope27 wrote:

@Annie+UK 

I think there's a few sky+hd models that don't decode DVB-S2 as well.

They would be very old boxes and not many stilll in use and would be very close to end of life if still working

@Annie+UK,

The OG PVR4 Thompson/Pace/Samsung boxes. 

I still have a PVR4 down the shed that my parents owned when sky hd first come out, 

I was 3 years old when Sky HD was first released, just thought I would make you feel old 😉

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion