Discussion topic: Taking Landline Number when moving from Now to Sky Broadband

This message was authored by EarlGrey16 This message was authored by: EarlGrey16

Taking Landline Number when moving from Now to Sky Broadband

I am about to move from Now Broadband to Sky Broadband.  I have been advised that it is not possible to port my existing landline number.  I haven't been provided with a definitive answer as to why, but it has been suggested (By a Now customer services representative) that it may be a techncial issue, because the providers are both part of the same parent company and their systems are shared.

I have come across a work around by taking out a contract with a VOIP provider and asking them to port the number from Now Broadband before the contract ends.  I am exploring this option, though it does mean I will have a new number, provided by Sky, which I won't use.  I will also need to pay for the VOIP service.

What I was wondering was if I move the number to the VOIP provder can I subsequently ask Sky to port the number over to my account?  We have had this number for 37 years, moving from BT to Sky, back to BT, then to Vodafone and then Now, without any issues with transferring the number.  

You may think it a lot of trouble to keep the number, but with elderly family members, with dementia conditions, who are reliant on using this number to contact us (it's about the only number they can remember!), we really are committed to trying every possible avenue.  If anyone has been successful, we'd love to know, or if there is any other work around that has worked for anybody.  

I did look on the Offcom site and they state

Number portability is a regulated facility which allows customers to keep their numbers when changing provider.  

There should be procedures to allow porting to take place, even between sister companies (I've read that Plusnet and BTinternet have the same issue).

Many thanks for any help.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Taking Landline Number when moving from Now to Sky Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@EarlGrey16 wrote:

What I was wondering was if I move the number to the VOIP provder can I subsequently ask Sky to port the number over to my account?  We have had this number for 37 years, moving from BT to Sky, back to BT, then to Vodafone and then Now, without any issues with transferring the number.  

Check with Sky, but I don't think so. When Sky can port an existing number it's at the point they take over an existing active phone line. So far as I know, they can't port a number to an already existing Sky landline.

This message was authored by rlh This message was authored by: rlh

Hello. Did you get resolution on this? I want to switch broadband and landline from Now to Sky, but Sky said I couldn't keep my phone number. Really need to keep it, so want to know if there's a way round this. thanks

EarlGrey16
Topic Author
This message was authored by EarlGrey16 This message was authored by: EarlGrey16

Hi, no I didn't find a way around this.  I didn't move in the end.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion