Discussion topic: CNN Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer still broadcast in US but seems to be censored from Sky version

This message was authored by Andy+Tired This message was authored by: Andy+Tired

CNN Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer still broadcast in US but seems to be censored from Sky version

Hello just raising this topic with the wider community because sky seem to have removed their email contact method

Anybody know why sky has dropped the Situation Room from CNN and replaced it with a sports segment.   I believe the old guy is still going out in the US on that station at that hour.

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: CNN Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer still broadcast in US but seems to be censored from Sky ver

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andy+Tired wrote:

Hello just raising this topic with the wider community because sky seem to have removed their email contact method

Anybody know why sky has dropped the Situation Room from CNN and replaced it with a sports segment.   I believe the old guy is still going out in the US on that station at that hour.

Thanks

Nothing to do with Sky, it will be CNN who have done this as they are the ones responsible for the output.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: CNN Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer still broadcast in US but seems to be censored from Sky ver

@Andy+Tired 

Not sure when what you were hoping to see was scheduled to be broadcast but I've just flicked over from the football to CNN and it's not sport. Sky aren't responsible for other broadcasters possible rescheduling. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Andy+Tired
Topic Author
This message was authored by Andy+Tired This message was authored by: Andy+Tired

Thanks for the swift replies. I know sky stopped broadcasting Fox news on their platform and wondered if they could influence channel content.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Andy+Tired wrote:

Thanks for the swift replies. I know sky stopped broadcasting Fox news on their platform and wondered if they could influence channel content.

Fox is a different case, CNN are not owned or run by Sky

FNC was carried in the United Kingdom by Sky, which was 40-percent owned by 21st Century Fox at the time, and operates its own domestic news channel Sky News. On August 29, 2017, Sky dropped Fox News; the broadcaster said its carriage was not "commercially viable" due to average viewership of fewer than 2,000 viewers per day. The company said the decision was unrelated to 21st Century Fox's proposed acquisition of the remainder of Sky plc (which ultimately led to a bidding war that resulted in its acquisition by Comcast instead).[408]

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Andy+Tired wrote:

I know sky stopped broadcasting Fox news on their platform and wondered if they could influence channel content.

As provider of a regulated EPG, Sky is obliged to offer a slot to any channel which requests one as long as the owner holds a UK broadcast licence (issued by Ofcom) and pays a standard listing fee.

As @GD1 indicates, Fox News chose to withdraw from the UK market: one possibility is that they no longer wished to provide content which met the very strict terms of the Broadcasting Code on impartiality in News.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-010263624425 provides some interesting background information.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

CNN replaced the Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, that aired weekdays at 11 pm with FifstMove hosted by Julia Chatterley.

This all started a few months back, first on CNN Asia and International, then Europe and other areas around the works like Australia.

Think it's still appearing on its usual slot on CNN USA and Canada. But it was reported that the epg listings for Canada have been showing First Move, but they broadcast the Situation Room.

Not see any mention of why.

It is a shame as the Situation Room was a good watch.

You could email CNN with the contact us link at the bottom of this page;

https://uk.help.cnn.com/gb

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
Andy+Tired
Topic Author

Thank you for that full reply. Its a bit of a niche interest and I havent been able to find reference to what was going on with a quick turn to google.

I only realised something was quite nuansed when a clip of the current Situation Room being broadcast was included in John Oliver's Last Week Tonight.

Your answer confirms what has happened.  But not why. I have emailed CNN, but I doubt one disappointed UK viewer is a priority!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion