Discussion topic: Is the upgrade from Sky Q to Sky Stream Worth it?

This message was authored by ozsat This message was authored by: ozsat

Re: Is the upgrade from Sky Q to Sky Stream Worth it?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I've not swapped to stream and the main reason for me not to swap is the loss of too many channels including a couple of my favourite channels Talking Pictures and That's TV.

@Carlp1979 wrote:

I have had sky Q for some time, and considering the switch to Sky Stream on my next upgrade.

I don't have an issue with upgrading my Broadband to a better connection to accomodate this, but want to know peoples thoughts especially those who were with Sky Q for quite some time and have switched, or those who have wished they hadn't changed.

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 2TB with UHD/HDR + two minis) in Sky region #71 (Oxford) using VirginMedia Gig1 Fibre (1.2Gbps/100Mbps).

This message was authored by K2ascent This message was authored by: K2ascent

Just a few observations of my personal experience following my original post. 
As my contract is up shortly I rang Sky about a new deal explaining I would be open to switching from Q to Stream if a deal could be done. I did not expect a "New Customer" type price but some reduction might have swung it for me to recontract.

They were not willing to give me anything.

So does this mean that Sky at present are not particularly bothered about moving even loyal customers from Q to Stream. Strange if Stream is considered the way forward for the future?

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@K2ascent wrote:

Just a few observations of my personal experience following my original post. 
As my contract is up shortly I rang Sky about a new deal explaining I would be open to switching from Q to Stream if a deal could be done. I did not expect a "New Customer" type price but some reduction might have swung it for me to recontract.

They were not willing to give me anything.

So does this mean that Sky at present are not particularly bothered about moving even loyal customers from Q to Stream. Strange if Stream is considered the way forward for the future?

It could be down to a number of factors. Sky are more interested in getting new customers onto the streaming platform rather than porting existing Q customers. Q works well and most customers who have it are happy. Stream can be a shock for some people who switch from Q as it's a very different type of service. It's easier for Sky to keep existing customers on the stable system which customers know and love than it is to deal with them when they complain about missing channels or inability to record or fast forward easily. 

Someone who's never had Sky before is more likely to be impressed by the structure and format of the Entertainment OS streaming platform, than someone who's spent years recording, watching and deleting programmes at their leisure. It's worth noting that although Sky Stream does 'cloud record' some content, it's not like having a big hard drive in the cloud which you, the customer, has control over. It's not like having a Q-like planner at all. There is no list of cloud recordings for you to manage and delete at will, all that kind of stuff is hidden and under Sky's control. Now that's absolutely fine for many people, but for those who are used to managing their own recordings on Q, it can be quite difficult to grasp. 

Once Sky Stream is more bedded in (it took Q a few years to settle) and the satellite service is nearer to closing, I'm sure Sky will be more than happy to get everyone currently on Q switched over.  

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@K2ascent wrote:

Unless Stream is eventually inevitable, given the current broadcast satellites have a limited life expectancy: the Sky contract with SES runs to the end of 2028, with the three Astra platforms themselves expending the last of their positioning propellant sometime at the start of the next decade if not earlier.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion