Discussion topic: No 4K for Euro 2024 & Champions League Final...

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

No 4K for Euro 2024 & Champions League Final...

I've no interest in sport whatsoever but for those that are, and pay a fortune for it to be in 4K with HDR, this may be of interest:

https://www.ibc.org/features/uefa-relegates-uhd-for-euro-2024-and-champions-league-final/10918.artic... 

All Replies

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

Re: No 4K for Euro 2024 & Champions League Final...

@Padam_Padam wrote:

I've no interest in sport whatsoever but for those that are, and pay a fortune for it to be in 4K with HDR, this may be of interest:

https://www.ibc.org/features/uefa-relegates-uhd-for-euro-2024-and-champions-league-final/10918.artic... 

@Padam_Padam 

Nobody pays 'a fortune' to watch the Euros. The coverage is split across BBC and ITV and costs no more than the licence fee. 

Even if production were in native UHD/HDR, it would only be a handful of matches via iPlayer as ITV hasn't bothered with it due to no return versus HD. 

Padam_Padam
Topic Author
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

That'll teach me to say anything about sport! I did say I had no interest in it and therefore clearly have no knowledge about it either. My bad. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

For the Euros yes, for the champions league final that might annoy some people I guess which is mainly on pay TV throughout the world, so I'm sure people paying extra for 4K content would be annoyed UEFA can't be bothered to broadcast it in 4K

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by ftballman This message was authored by: ftballman

Seems a strange one. I know not all broadcasters are equipped, ready or even interested in 4k but I thought all the camera equipment at this level would now be capable and there as an option at least.

Makes you wonder if (for sport at least) this is 3D all over again.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Clearly it's UEFA cutting the production costs of the champions league final and the Euros.

i guess as UEFA don't explicitly sell the rights for 4K content and it's just the rights to the broadcast, they have realised they are spending more money than they need to in order to fulfil the broadcasting commitments.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by ozsat This message was authored by: ozsat

In the US a lot of the live HDR or DV stuff is only 1080p. As long as the stream has good bandwidth - which a lot of stuff on UK satellite does not - then most will not see much difference.

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 2TB with UHD/HDR + two minis) in Sky region #71 (Oxford) using VirginMedia Gig1 Fibre (1.2Gbps/100Mbps).

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion