Discussion topic: Sky Sports F1 coverage in upcoming races

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Sky Sports F1 coverage in upcoming races

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@rbspro wrote:

VPN and stream 

@rbspro emm as @SKY1992bf you can't legally watch F1TV in the UK what you are doing is watching it illegally and your posting will do this on a Sky run forum sensible 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Long+Drax This message was authored by: Long+Drax

I too will be cancelling my sky package.  

The studio graphic and presentation format are atrocious.. why pay for a premium service that is se and rate.  Come on Sky look after the loyal customers and if you want to become greener then cut back on the number of presenters at trackside not the trackside coverage 

This message was authored by Brisfrenchy This message was authored by: Brisfrenchy

Agree with most of the posts on here. The studio format is terrible. This is not football. The whole point of an F1 race weekend is that it is an experience. If the fans can't be live at the event themselves, the next best thing is to experience it via the TV coverage. I want to see the presenters there at the track for the build up to the event, experiencing the weather, bumping into people, having the background noise of the mechanics, the cars, the aerobatic displays going on behind them. Even more so for the 'fly-away' events where the rich culture of the venues cannot be conveyed from a sterile studio no matter how much the AR facilities are used. The reason for this - I cannot be there in person so I want to live it through the presenters! Sky no longer have the rights to rugby so the only reason I have a Sky Sports subscription is for F1 now. Sky need to listen to their viewers or ignore them at their peril. By extension Formula 1 management may also not be happy because if Sky are diminishing the F1 experience, then that will also diminish the ambition and hunger for those potential race-goers to buy tickets for an F1 event themselves. 

This message was authored by Harra84 This message was authored by: Harra84

Sky Sports UHD quality

Anyone else seeing a noticeable drop off in auHD quality for Sky Sports? Watching F1 in UHD and it's barely HD quality. Tried a couple of other programmes - The Last of Us on Sky Atlantic - and it's fine

This message was authored by DGJ111 This message was authored by: DGJ111

Japan is no better, sterile, boring and disjointed. 
saving money while charging a lot for there service. 
Fortunately my contract is up soon as I'm not paying £65/month for this rubbish. 
The claim in cutting carbon is nuts, when you consider the whole F1 circus!

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Do agree, that having so far watched the practice sessions and Qualy in Japan, the studio setup once again in its second race using this format, is not working. It lacks the atmosphere, hate all the OTT backdrops and pundits positioning etc. Summing up it is just a messy and very disappointing whole experience.

I did email VR last week and got a reply that they took my comments on board and would forward on my comments to the Sky F1 team.

They did say in their reply that the studio would be present at Japan and China;

Sky will use this studio for race weekends in Japan and China also. Sky Sports will return to the paddock in their usual format for the Miami Grand Prix in May

Think the best ploy to pass on your dissatisfaction is to email VR.

ViewerR@sky.uk

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by perdy4500 This message was authored by: perdy4500

F1 TV Schedule INCORRECT

Race replay is meant to start at 10:30...... i turn it on at 10:30 and the replay is half way through.  Avoided result all morning and sit down to this primary school level of attention to detail by Sky. 

Does anyone running the TV scheduling understand watching sport and not wanting to know any results? As in DO NOT DEVIATE from the published schedule????

This message was authored by Dennisthetank This message was authored by: Dennisthetank

A pathetic response. 

I don't care if sky are or are not unique by doing this, as the user before said we pay for track side commentary.

This weekend (Japanese) the coverage and commentary has been absolutely rubbish.

(removed)

How many subscribers does ssf1 have? It was over 1M in 2021, can't see any newer figures, must be more in 2024.. so let's say 2M x £15pm and the best you can do is studio coverage??? Pathetic.

Moderator note: Removed innapropriate remarks.

This message was authored by andagainagain This message was authored by: andagainagain

Re: F1 TV Schedule INCORRECT

This caught me off guard too. Schedule said 10:30 was the race replay. Didn't turn it on until then because didn't want spoilers from the rave highlights right before it, and to my surprise it's already lap 18.... Absolute joke.

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@DGJ111 wrote:

Japan is no better, sterile, boring and disjointed.

There are alternatives. F1 TV provide free pre-race and post race coverage, live from the track on YouTube.

Pre-Race/Buildup

Post-Race

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by Albeds This message was authored by: Albeds

The remote coverage just isn't working. 

Might as well watch channel 4 

The lack of feeling and on site interviews is ruining the viewing... please don't do this anymore.. trackside is what we are paying for 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Albeds wrote:

The remote coverage just isn't working. 

Might as well watch channel 4 

The lack of feeling and on site interviews is ruining the viewing... please don't do this anymore.. trackside is what we are paying for 

It's happening for China then it's back to normal.

This was a decision made by Sky prior to the start of the season. I believe Sky were promoting the net zero benefits as the primary reason, however cost factors have also come into play as sending fewer people to the flyaway races as ensured they can stay within the budget for this year.

Its partly why I suspect however much people don't like this, the studio presentation may well be a feature of a few races a year going forward due to the F1 production having to remain within budget. Can't say I'm surprised as the ridiculous increasing of the F1 race calendar was always going to start to cause decisions like this to be made as just because the season has more races it doesn't mean the budgets are increasing inline on a per race basis. (And more staff need to be employed to cover the greater number of races as the feasibility of one person going to all the races to do their job is just unlikely nowadays).

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Albeds This message was authored by: Albeds

I appreciate the reduction in carbon footprint.. send less and still keep it on site.. have the skynpad back in the UK..  but keep the onsite coverage.

Going remote kills it and might as well use channel 4 for free ! 

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:
Its partly why I suspect however much people don't like this, the studio presentation may well be a feature of a few races a year going forward due to the F1 production having to remain within budget

And yet FOM/Liberty Media have kept the F1 TV PRO price the same this year at £60 for the year, even with the increase in race weekends,

IMG_6219.jpeg

TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@tarbat wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:
Its partly why I suspect however much people don't like this, the studio presentation may well be a feature of a few races a year going forward due to the F1 production having to remain within budget

And yet FOM/Liberty Media have kept the F1 TV PRO price the same this year at £60 for the year, even with the increase in race weekends,

IMG_6219.jpeg

I'd suspect though that it's not only the F1TV service that is bringing in the revenue for FOM, as they are providing their world feed coverage as part of some of the TV deals they have struck which is likely subsidising the cost of the service.

Will be interesting in the future when I'm guessing F1TV becomes the sole place to watch F1 live across the world what they do with the price.  I'm thinking this will be the most likely option especially with liberty media recently purchasing MotoGP, I could see then morphing F1TV into a global motor-racing streaming service.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion