Discussion topic: Gone back to OLED C1

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Gone back to OLED C1

Got my new LG C1 OLED today, using the glass puck whilst the tv is picked up and Q is put back on. The difference between the Glass is incredible, no banding, no issues with HDR, actually incredible picture. Part of me will miss the concept of Glass, but the £33 month extra for the same Tv subscription not including the cost of the glass I won't miss, either will I the inferior picture quality and having to use third rate apps as a way of "recording". I can only akin the experience of from driving a Vauxhall to an Audi. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by matty147 This message was authored by: matty147

Re: Gone back to OLED C1

@Anonymous wrote:

Got my new LG C1 OLED today, using the glass puck whilst the tv is picked up and Q is put back on. The difference between the Glass is incredible, no banding, no issues with HDR, actually incredible picture. Part of me will miss the concept of Glass, but the £33 month extra for the same Tv subscription not including the cost of the glass I won't miss, either will I the inferior picture quality and having to use third rate apps as a way of "recording". I can only akin the experience of from driving a Vauxhall to an Audi. 

You're comparing probably one the best TVs on the market against the glass. Of course the glass won't be anywhere close to that, very few TVs will be. 

This message was authored by Joe-Bow This message was authored by: Joe-Bow

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

And two fundamentally different display technologies.

Topic Author

Not my problem. LG are selling OLED at base product "A" at £899 with some retailers providing 20 percent account credit (very) which makes a purchase price of £720. That's cheaper than Sky Glass. Sky also chose to go for a cheap panel, They could have spent less on the sound bar and provided a better panel 

Topic Author

The C1 that I purchased is £1099 for the 55 inch. Better in every way than Glass. I even think the sound is better 

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

Lot of misconceptions about Glass.  Glass is not a high end product with regards to the display.  Its not a replacment or upgrade to Q either.  Its aimed at a specific segment of the market who want an all in one solution.  Or those who want Sky but cannot have a dish.  I would actually say its for those less bothered about specs who just want an all in one set up (or the folk from whom the dis is a problem).  No one should be going for one of these if they have a high end screen alrady or want high end performance.  Also no one should really be moving from Q to one of thse either.

Topic Author

@bemak187 @Simply not true. If it was aimed at customers who can't get sky Q, why has Glass only and currently is only being sold to existing long standing sky customers???

This message was authored by Joe-Bow This message was authored by: Joe-Bow

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Not saying it's a problem, but you are mentioning the difference between the panels, and I am stating here you're not comparing like with like. 

OLED and QLED, as I mentioned earlier, are fundamentally different screen technologies, and it's a fact of life presently that if you want Glass you have to have the TV whether you like it or not, which makes it pointless comparing Glass with an OLED.  

When I get the chance I'll hook one of my pucks up to my 2017 OLED.  I'm expecting it to look incredible solely because even my 2017 OLED is better than the Glass QLED TV, but ther is no point people keeping on comparing the two.

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous wrote:

@bemak187 @Simply not true. If it was aimed at customers who can't get sky Q, why has Glass only and currently is only being sold to existing long standing sky customers???

Likely because they cant make them in sufficent numbers due to supply chain shortages.

Topic Author

@bemak187 lol. Or maybe your wrong 

@Anonymous I could be however you obviously know so please tell us why they are limiting sales only to exisiting Sky customers?

Topic Author

@bemak187 wrote:

...  Also no one should really be moving from Q to one of thse either.

Can't fully agree with that as individual circumstances differ.

I was really interested initially, due to being heartily sick of having to re-negotiate a better deal every 12/18 months and the Glass base price isn't bad. It was also an upgrade of both TV and soundbar for us.

Of course this was all based on Sky's advertising which proved to be pie in the sky, I cancelled it before the TV got here (although it's still pending delivery on my account 3 weeks later 😞 ).

This message was authored by Urban+Splash This message was authored by: Urban+Splash

Let's take the tv in isolation. Without the 'sky' part. The asking price, compared to a C1, is outrageous. Sky are selling tv's now. So it's valid to compare them to other TVs in the market. Regardless of panel type. 

I didn't pay for a Q box... so I'm literally comparing 2 TVs. One has sky (ish) built in. One you plug a box in to watch Sky. Appreciate I'm ignoring the soundbar part. 

Overall, in my value opinion, the price of the glass tv and subs is not as great at retaining Q connected to a C1. Genuine shame. I love the concept., and the TVs look pretty great with the different colours. 

Maybe should have said yet.  I do appreciate there are individual circumstances however if the screen and sound are an upgrade you need to trade that off against the bugs and fewer channels.  Then make a choice.

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@bemak187 wrote:

@Anonymous I could be however you obviously know so please tell us why they are limiting sales only to exisiting Sky customers?

The concept was originally for those who couldn't have a satellite dish but due to the time between concept to release, that has completely been discarded. 

The service is now being marketed by Sky as the next big thing and is being heavily marketed at existing Sky Q customers. It's recently taken over the home screen of Sky Q and orders are going out to existing Sky Q customers only. 

This is not, and has not been, about communal viewers etc. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion