Discussion topic: Is discovery plus in hd

This message was authored by NMF26 This message was authored by: NMF26

Is discovery plus in hd

I just watched a repeat of an Olympic footie match and the picture quality was rubbish.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Is discovery plus in hd

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @NMF26,

I have watched a couple of things on catch up on the Discovery plus app.

I don't think it is quite SD but I would say it seems it can be quite variable and certainly not the normal HD we are used to

This message was authored by Outertrial This message was authored by: Outertrial

It's vile; I hate it. Compression artefacts and most feeds seem to be about 20fps.  

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

It's better if you use a different Discovery+ app. The image quality on the Apple TV 4K box or Amazon Firestick 4K is better - sharper & less compressed than via Sky Q. 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@fizzdisco I use a Firestick 4K & still don't find quality of the feeds that high  - even if it may be better than via SKY Q 

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Like most I took the free trial but looking at the price for continuing with it and the content/quality I will not bother, I don't think it is worth an extra cost.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@NMF26 like most streaming apps Discovery+ uses a rate adaptive system so quality will vary depending on the speed of the network connection to your Q box . The Sky Q app is not listed as supporting UHD - the Apple TV and Firestick apps are apparently - but should offer HD quality but there maybe issues with server bandwidth as Discovery + is dealing with massively increased demand during the Olympics as Discovery hold the main European TV rights. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

The olympic coverage on the Discovery+ is in HD. It is not the best HD I've ever seen, but it is HD and the pq is stable and consistent.

It is very watchable and not seen any problems with it.

As for other content, some is in HD and some SD.
That maybe more to do with the age of some of the content.
An example is to take a very early series episodes of Wheelers Dealers, that are shown in SD picture quality, but that has always been the case on many a Discovery owned channel previously on Sky satellite over the years.
But, look at a more recent series, like S16 and it is definitely HD and the quality via my Sky Q box is actually pretty good.
Much the same across the board from other series form what I have tried.

As mentioned above, the app does use adaptive bitrate streaming, so if you have a poor local network distribution or slow broadband connection speed it will cause some problems.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion