Discussion topic: No satellite signal

This message was authored by Fireandwater This message was authored by: Fireandwater

No satellite signal

Hello I have a problem which is my Sky Q box displays a no satellite signal. My Sky Dish was changed because of this issue. Satellite signal was changed as well. No trees or scaffolding are in front of my dish.it gives no satellite signal during good weather.Furthermore Engineer have replaced the Sky Q box it is stable for a couple of hours. Then it gives No satellite signal. I factory reset the box it works for a couple of hours then again No satellite signal.LNB was changed as well. Boxes were replaced couple of time because of this issue.What should I do? 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

Re: No satellite signal

• I would be on the phone with Sky to resolve it PDQ!
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

Fireandwater
Topic Author
This message was authored by Fireandwater This message was authored by: Fireandwater

@TechmanagerMal I've called sky a couple of times They don't know why it's happening.they have no words. 

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@Fireandwater wrote:

@TechmanagerMal I've called sky a couple of times They don't know why it's happening.they have no words. 

• I guess it's SkyGo then until they resolve it?
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

Fireandwater
Topic Author

@TechmanagerMal Sky Go works intermittently as well. It gives error when I try watching something.

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@FireandwaterThere is some guidance here on how to get rid of the sky go error when you loose satellite signal on the q box. 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/nss-sky-go-app

Do you have any local rf sources that could be interfering with your satellite signal reception ?

Fireandwater
Topic Author

@CyberFridayyeah I've used the online guide and I have no rf sources. Satellite cable was changed as well. But still issue is persisting I have no idea why it's happening. There is nothing obstructing my dish or obstructing the signals 

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@Fireandwater  On the previous occasions when you have had a Sky engineer at the house did you have the error condition present for them to see ? If not then suggest you get an engineer visit when the error condition is present. Do you have any independent means of measuring the satellite signal strength when the q box reports no signal ?

Fireandwater
Topic Author

@CyberFridayIt was present when the engineer came. He changed the LNB furthermore checked the dish and also checked the satellite cable. He used his meter to test the signals and said it was perfect.at the end he replaced the sky Q box and went.it was working fine for 24 hours then next morning it was giving No satellite signal and the weather wasn't bad.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fireandwater intermittent faults are always difficult to diagnose unless the fault is present when the engineer is on site so the standard approach is to replace kit until the fault stops.

Is the cable from the dish to the box a single run or are there joins? Faults like yours can be caused by water getting into the cable hence the question about joints.  As the box and the LNB have been changed it just leaves the cable. 

Sky's engineers are the experts and have the kit to test the system so report the fault once more.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Fireandwater wrote:

@CyberFridayyeah I've used the online guide and I have no rf sources. Satellite cable was changed as well. But still issue is persisting I have no idea why it's happening. There is nothing obstructing my dish or obstructing the signals 

• @Chrisee looks like they tried everything???

Fireandwater
Topic Author

@Chrisee @TechmanagerMal The satellite cable is not joint it's 1 long cable from the dish to the box. I have also checked for interference which may have been causing the issue but that is not the case. Engineers are confused themselves to why it's happening. They have used the kit to check the signal strength and the Engineer showed it to me and it was perfect.just to note satellite cable was changed as well. But then the only last option was to change the box which is a temporary fix. Could this be a software issue in the box by any chance?

@Fireandwater wrote:

@Chrisee @TechmanagerMal The satellite cable is not joint it's 1 long cable from the dish to the box. I have also checked for interference which may have been causing the issue but that is not the case. Engineers are confused themselves to why it's happening. They have used the kit to check the signal strength and the Engineer showed it to me and it was perfect.just to note satellite cable was changed as well. But then the only last option was to change the box which is a temporary fix. Could this be a software issue in the box by any chance?

• Good shout, possibly, it should be Q160 and if not you can update it in the settings menu.

Fireandwater
Topic Author

@TechmanagerMal yeah my Sky Q box is up to date same with my 2 mini boxes. They are on Eco mode anyways so I suppose they do updates during the night.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fireandwater very unlikely to be the firmware or we would see loads of reports - there are something approaching 8 million boxes in use. Is the fault intermittent or once failed does it stay off? 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion