Discussion topic: PS5 connection to SkyQ box

This message was authored by ayewellmm This message was authored by: ayewellmm

PS5 connection to SkyQ box

Would there be any advantage in connecting a PS5 via an Etherlet cable to the SkyQ main TV box? Would it even work? It works OK via WiFi but speeds are a bit slow. I can't connect it directly to the router without domestic disharmony...

Gorgypegg

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: PS5 connection to SkyQ box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ayewellmm 

"I can't connect it directly to the router without domestic disharmony"

If your house electrics are on the same electric circuit then wifi/ethernet powerline adapters can route the packets  via the electric wiring.

Also how is the sky q connected. ? Sky q minis can be used as wireless ethernet bridges but ultimately revert to wifi to the router with the same latency issues

As ps5 is a wifi6 ax device the possibility exists of buying a 3rd party wifi6 router but ultimately would advise the use of powerline adapters in the first instance

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
ayewellmm
Topic Author

Thanks for that. The TV box just connects via WiFi.

I'm a complete duffer when it comes to this but I will look into mains connectors but if one would improve the connection it would be great. 

Gorgypegg
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ayewellmm 

It depends on your network topology. 

In a case where your PS5 is connecting to the Sky Q box for its WiFi anyway then connecting them via ethernet removes one of the WiFi hops which may improve performance

In a case where the PS5 is connecting directly to the router for WiFi anyway it may end up making performance worse.

As already mentioned, powerline may be your answer.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
ayewellmm
Topic Author

I've sent for a powerline kit, arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Gorgypegg
ayewellmm
Topic Author

Hi. I've fitted the powerline kit and it has made a slight difference but not as much as I'd hoped.  Why does the PS register significantly lower speeds than my other devices?

Gorgypegg

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion