Discussion topic: Remote network problem

This message was authored by Andysate This message was authored by: Andysate

Remote network problem

Hi all as above-wont download anything

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Paulonthetelly This message was authored by: Paulonthetelly

Re: Remote network problem

@Andysate , do you mean you have an internet problem or an issue with Q mini & tv?

Andysate
Topic Author
This message was authored by Andysate This message was authored by: Andysate

Sky Q-wont download a missed prog get so far then get the above message-turned off and on -no good

This message was authored by 1960lynn This message was authored by: 1960lynn

I am getting this too, when watching a series some episodes I cannot watch. Either says "no subscription " or "remote network problem ". Just on odd episodes, so annoying. Have rebooted Q box but still the same!!!

L hall
This message was authored by Andrew+Hawkins This message was authored by: Andrew+Hawkins

Hi,

I've been seeing the same for weeks now as well. Pretty sure it's not a SkyQ networking issue, as I get this while watching TV on one of the Minis, showing that the connection between the Mini and the SkyQ is working fine. Also as sure as I can be that it's not a broadband issue, as other devices work on my broadband without any problems when this issue occurs.

Had the new software update last night, so will see if this has changed anything.

Andy

This message was authored by pjhaahl This message was authored by: pjhaahl

@1960lynn

Remote network problem usually indicates the problem is not with your local network, hence remote. It could be your broadband connection is experiencing issues or there are server issues at the data centre Sky is using to make the content available.

This message was authored by Andrew+Hawkins This message was authored by: Andrew+Hawkins

@Andrew+Hawkins wrote:

Hi,

I've been seeing the same for weeks now as well. Pretty sure it's not a SkyQ networking issue, as I get this while watching TV on one of the Minis, showing that the connection between the Mini and the SkyQ is working fine. Also as sure as I can be that it's not a broadband issue, as other devices work on my broadband without any problems when this issue occurs.

Had the new software update last night, so will see if this has changed anything.

Nope, had a load more of these last night while trying to download stuff using the horribly convoluted method I have to use with the new interface. Even more frustrating now as I have to manually go looking for each episode, rather than just being able to select it from 'More showings' or whatever it was.

Andy

This message was authored by Zippy101 This message was authored by: Zippy101

Yes I have been having the same problem. Never seen it before the upgrade (the terrible new interface). So I would suspect it not peoples networks  it's a bug with the new release. Just be persistent and it will download eventually, that's what I found. And it is random. 

@Zippy101 wrote:

Yes I have been having the same problem. Never seen it before the upgrade (the terrible new interface). So I would suspect it not peoples networks  it's a bug with the new release. Just be persistent and it will download eventually, that's what I found. And it is random. 

It most definitely is not a bug solely in the new release. I've been seeing this for weeks if not months, certainly long before the horrible new interface dropped.

Seems to have died down a little for me, so it's possible it is some kind of load issue at Sky's end, which comes and goes depending on how busy things are.

Andy

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

I just posted in the other topic about this but i'm also seeing a lot of failed downloads with "Remote Network Problem". It appears to be a problem with the advert server adm.sky.com as anything with no adverts  (mostly BBC ) or ads not provided by that server (ITV) always work. Downloads from other channels frequently fail, it is often when they get to 99% and the whole programme has to be downloaded again. 

Good to know its not a bug but for me seems coincidental with the new software release although i have seen the 'no subscription' error before on occasion but just not this remote network issue before. One thing I did try was to change the download preferences on the main sky box from UHD to HD to see if that helps. Thus far i've not had a reoccurance of the problem. Will monitor to see how things go over the next few weeks ............

This message was authored by Alaisuk This message was authored by: Alaisuk

I never had this issue up until June 2020 when I replaced my Sky Q 2TB nox with a new one that is compatible with HDR.  From the start, this message kept appearing. I followed all the instructions given to me by Sky Q Tech Team.  Alas, the problem still there!  Eventually, I had an engineer visit two weeks ago.  Box replaced.  But, engineer explained, as I have everything wired in the house these may be the following two factors for this problem:

1. Sky Q boxes are designed to be wireless, so hooking them, (Sky Q Mini box too), to a wired network adds another layer of IP address sorting within the box, (to which I'm like...ehm, a network is a metwork. Why are you making network products that will not work well with a wired Ethernet connection?!)

2. TP-Link Ethernet switch, which my box is wired to, are renowned to create issues with Sky Q boxes.  Aparraently this brand is at the top of their fault finding list. (Again sceptical....really? Something tells me if there was another brand of Ethernet switch, I would have been told the same thing).

Engineer suggested to leave the whole set up wiree in, and if the problem persists then to switch to wireless.  As the WiFi router is in the same room, I won't see much issues with speed.

Having read a lot of posts on this issue, something tells me that it must be a software problem.

I realise that this is not a solution; nevertheless, I thought it would be good to share my experience.

The Sky engineern was umber useful, considerate, (including COVID safety gear), !ethodical.  Regardless, when I saw his reaction to a fully wired set up, and advising to drop that and switch back to wireless, ( also Sky Q Mini is designed to connect best via a WiFi mesh connection between main box and mini) adding wired Ethernet goes against the design of the product. 

As I said skeptical, yet pleased with the serbive from engineer.

What does anyone else think on the above? 

I was thinking of waiting for the new OS update to come through before I forego nyhe wired connections, just in case.

I would be sceptical about this. I've had my boxes hard wired for at least 3 years now with no issues. In fact in the early days of sky q this was the best option as the wireless provide by the boxes was flaky. The problem is the Sky engineers are not networking experts so it's always a challenge. I've had 3 different routers on my network with no issues. For sure there is another underlying issue either with sky or their software. 

This message was authored by Ar+Tarn This message was authored by: Ar+Tarn

Seems at odds with my Tech team expert who suggested wiring a couple of the miniboxes (which a sky engineer came out to do as tech team don't do drills, yet.....), get some switches and take the strain off the Sky Q main box and wifi.

Stopped sending 2.4Ghz off everything except the Sky Hub and its like i've got a new system...

Mind you , I had no issues at all until the V1 2TB box was replaced by a V3 one.....

Sky Q V3 2TB (ES340d9UKIE) , plethora of Mini Q's, Samsung Q950 TV, Samsung Q90R Soundbar
This message was authored by Alaisuk This message was authored by: Alaisuk

Agreed. Same here all fine wired in until swap of box / firmware update.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion