Discussion topic: Sky Q mini box freezing

This message was authored by Aidy2019 This message was authored by: Aidy2019

Sky Q mini box freezing

Hi,

We've had Sky installed at our new house for just under 2 years and have never had a problem, recently the mini box has started to freeze. The main Q box is fine, it has no issues whatsoever. The freezing only affects the tv, I can still go into menus etc whilst the picture is frozen. 

We've tried all the troubleshooting guides online and over the phone, yesterday an engineer was sent out - he changed the mini box and added a booster box. I didn't think the issue was caused by a poor connection as it's been in the exact same place since we've had it and it's never been a problem until now. He changed the mini box just to be sure but thought the booster box would fix it. 

Anyway, the issue is still present and it makes watching tv via multiroom almost impossible. Sometimes it will freeze from the start, others it will freeze after an hour or so but once it freezes that's it - there's no way to continue what you were watching as it's that bad. 

Has anybody else come across a similar issue and managed to rectify it at all? I've had a search through the forum and read through a few threads but couldn't find anything with the same issues I've got.

Thanks. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

Re: Sky Q mini box freezing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Aidy2019

Not sure what would have caused this to happen. But in terms of a solution, can I check that 1) the booster is positioned half way between the main box and the mini box, 2) all the green lights are lit on the booster, and 3) the mini box is definitely connected to the booster?

If the booster is half way, and all the green lights are on, go to the mini box and go to Settings / Setup / Network / Reset, and at step 2 of 4 on screen, press the WPS button on the front of the booster. This ensures the mini is connected to the booster.

If it isn't half way (sometimes people put boosters next to their mini box or main box which serves no purpose!), move it to that central position. Press the reset button on the back of the booster. When the lights have settled down, press the WPS button on the front of the main box, then the button on the front of the booster. This ensures the booster is connected to the main box. Then follow the mini box process on the earlier paragraph.

Another thing, if you're with a provider that's not Sky broadband, is to change the channel of the Sky Q mesh that joins your main, mini and booster to avoid it clashing with your 5ghz home wifi. Go down to Settings but don't press Select. Instead type 0 0 1 Select to open the hidden menu. From there you can change the 5ghz channel. If it's on 36, change it to 44, and press Confirm. 

Hope this helps. 

Aidy2019
Topic Author

Yes, booster is positioned half way between the main and mini box. This was only installed yesterday by the engineer. I don't think that will be the solution though, as mentioned on my OP we've had our current setup running perfectly for the best part of 2 years with no issues so can't see what the booster will rectify. 

We're with VM for BB and I've just checked the setting you mentioned, it was on 36 so I've changed it to 44 as you suggested. Will see if that makes any difference but I'm 99% sure it's not a connection issue.

Thank you.   

This message was authored by Emily2412 This message was authored by: Emily2412

Hi can I ask if changing from 36 made any difference please as I have exactly the same issue as you. 

Aidy2019
Topic Author

@Emily2412 

No, it hasn't made a difference. I've done all the troubleshooting guides, updated SW and even had the mini box swapped out but the problem still persists. So much so that we can't even watch TV in the other room now, it's that bad. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion