Discussion topic: slow internet or wifi

This message was authored by bobthebuilder223 This message was authored by: bobthebuilder223

slow internet or wifi

Internet speed tests vary, sometimes 50mbps download, sometimes 10mbps, sometimes 5mbps.
Wifi connection is full bars.
What could be causeing such volitility that's interupting my work?
I've got a top of the line macbook pro, located about 5-10 meters from the router, not very far as our place isn't very big. When I move into the room with the router, the speed maybe inreases. So is it the wifi rather than the connection? If so then this router kinda sucks. Should I use my own personal ASUS router instead, or get splitting into 2.4 and 5g? Its 2 people, between us We have 2 phones, 2-3 laptops, 1 smart TV, 1 portal, 1 alexa, 1 nest thermostat, and 1 apple watch connected to the wifi. Small apartment, one level.

here are the router stats:

Router Statistics
System Up Time: 00:15:02

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 93178 96914 0 200254 850995 00:13:29 LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 108799 97741 0 1315346 186303 00:13:37 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 13850 14414 0 10579 9206 00:13:27

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed (Kbps) 79999 19999 Line Attenuation (dB) DS1:3.2    DS2:6.6    DS3:9.5 US0:1.7    US1:5.6    US2:7.3 Noise Margin (dB) DS1:12.8    DS2:12.6    DS3:12.6 US0:15.3    US1:15.3    US2:15.3

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 10.45.24.pngslow_internet.png

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: slow internet or wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bobthebuilder223 wrote:

So is it the wifi rather than the connection? If so then this router kinda sucks.

Yes, and yes.

Note that not all non-Sky routers can be used on a Sky broadband connection.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@bobthebuilder223 It might be worth splitting the Wi-Fi bands, as you could be suffering from things using the 2.4GHz band rather than 5GHz. Certainly in your stats the slower, more congested 2.4GHz network is carrying the bulk of the traffic. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
bobthebuilder223
Topic Author
This message was authored by bobthebuilder223 This message was authored by: bobthebuilder223

my personal router is an ASUS 802.11ac Gigabit Router ( asus rt-ac58U, ac1300 dual band gigabit router. I bought it in New Zealand) . I'll give it a try. I'll do some searching on the internet to see what settings i need to use.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@bobthebuilder223 

If that's a cable modem (with an RJ45 WAN port) rather than a VDSL2-capable unit, you'd need a separate external modem to connect it to FTTC broadband.

bobthebuilder223
Topic Author

yeah the plugs don't seem compatible, I had fibre in NZ.
Would it be worth asking them to install / upgrade me to fibre, or buying a modem to go between the router and the wall? or should i buy a new router? or should i try keep the sky box, split it, and see how that goes.
thanks a lot for your help btw

@bobthebuilder223 

All valid choices, although ' install / upgrade me to fibre ' is only possible if Openreach have got FTTP infrastructure in your area.  The modem most currently mentioned in this context is the Vigor 130, but your router needs to be capable of Sky authentication to work though that (or any other modem).

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@bobthebuilder223 

You already are on Fibre to the cabinet, unless you have FTTP avaliable to your address then there is no more upgrades you can take. If I were you I'd just buy a cheap AP and connect that to the Sky router

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
bobthebuilder223
Topic Author

I think my asus router can be configured as an access point

would it work like this:

internet -> cable -> sky thingy -LAN-> WAN- asus router as access point -> wifi

i.e. https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015009/

so the sky thing can be a modem, not just a router.

i think sky thing is actually a "sky hub"

sounds good

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion