Discussion topic: New install internal CSP box

This message was authored by Sayek This message was authored by: Sayek

New install internal CSP box

Hello all

Currently have Virgin and considering jumping to Sky FTTP.

I really dont want any more exterior wall box fitted. Seen on a post there is an option to fit a smaller box inside the house.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/SKY-fibre-setup/td-p/3979556

Anyone recently had a internal CSP fitted and able to share couple pictures please.

Picture 2  is a box I found on google search. I wanted the cable to enter the propery rear entry of the box  and this would be ideal. Is this setup possible by Sky installer?

Appreciate any feedback

Setup Photo 2.pngbox2.JPG

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: New install internal CSP box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sayek wrote:

Is this setup possible by Sky installer?

Incidentally a 'Sky installer' isn't involved in the process of getting optical cable to the CSP: that's only done by Openreach/Eircom.  Sky personnel might do the fusion splicing of the pigtail from the CSP to the ONT (some ISPs are trialing having their staff do second stage installation) but it's much more likely to be Openreach/Eircom too.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sayek wrote:

I really dont want any more exterior wall box fitted. Seen on a post there is an option to fit a smaller box inside the house.

I very much doubt that's an 'option': it's much more likely to be what's happened at a particular new build development due to circumstances specific to that site (such as external cladding). Standard Openreach deployment is external CSP enclosure and then optical pigtail to the internal ONT.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Sayek wrote:

Is this setup possible by Sky installer?

Incidentally a 'Sky installer' isn't involved in the process of getting optical cable to the CSP: that's only done by Openreach/Eircom.  Sky personnel might do the fusion splicing of the pigtail from the CSP to the ONT (some ISPs are trialing having their staff do second stage installation) but it's much more likely to be Openreach/Eircom too.

Sayek
Topic Author

In the same process as Openreach installed the copper cables previoulsy . 

In that case next time i see a Openreach engineer fitting to a property have a word with them.

Thank you

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sayek 

Re-reading it, the thread you linked to (and that first image) is specific to a SIRO customer in the Republic of Ireland where their incoming fibre line is following the Electricity Supply Board mains power cable to their address and enters through the back of the external electricity meter enclosure: that's not an FTTP deployment model used in the UK (SIRO is a partnership between ESB and Vodafone), and explains the presence of the internal CSP.

Sayek
Topic Author

Maybe..thats all I found when searched internal CSP.

I would have preffered a setup like the old Openreach phone socket where the cable enters the house and box on internal wall. It would be lot easier for the Openreach engineer to do the splice indoors.

Sayek
Topic Author

SIRO.JPG

@Sayek wrote:

It would be lot easier for the Openreach engineer to do the splice indoors.

Quite possibly, but that's simply not the Openreach deployment model in the UK.  What EIR/ESB/SIRO are doing in the Republic of Ireland is entirely up to those companies and the national regulator: Sky just happens to be an ISP in both countries and uses whatever wholesale infrastructure is available.

Having watched an Openreach installer working by the light of a headtorch in driving rain to spool individual unsheathed fibre strands using a toothpick held in frozen fingers, I suspect they'd agree with you.

Sayek
Topic Author

Appreciate your help.. Now to keep an eye for Openreach van when fitting. Should be plenty about since its new 🙂

Sayek
Topic Author

So just an update on this. The FTTP on my street is fitted by "Community Fibre"  I can see Openreach van doing the work and passing the cables via the usual Openreach manholes.

So I decided to contact the sales team and here it gets strange.  The network will be owned by Community Fibre...not Openreach.

They assured me they do the complete installation and only fit a small CSP inside. They do not fit external CSP like Openreach.

Found couple video and its seems to validate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkEeuA359oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRJjQFTmzsg

@Sayek 

I suspect your last post was grabbed by an automated spam filter.

Community Fibre is an altnet provider operating only in London: if they are dropping their fibre into Openreach ducts then that's under a colocation scheme, but they won't be carrying Openreach wholesale services, and ISPs such as Sky cannot use their infrastructure or offer broadband over it.  If you signed up with them you would be using Community Fibre as ISP, telco and carrier.

Sayek
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

Appreciate your time for helping out 🙂

So lets talk simple comsumer language as the technical part is above my head LOL.

So old copper wires Openreach owned the network and it it allowed all ISP(but Virgin) to use their network. So when my contarct ended with a ISP.. I could jump to another ISP as a new customer deal and enjoy the new customer sweet offer.

So I am correct to understand with Fibre..Community Fibre will be the exclusive ISP and not sharing with others? 

If that is the case thenthere wont be any competion and prices will creep up 😞

@Sayek wrote:

So I am correct to understand with Fibre..Community Fibre will be the exclusive ISP and not sharing with others? 

That's correct: they (or rather their financial backers) are investing in creating their own private optical cable distribution network in competition with Openreach, and as such have monopoly rights over it.  It's a similar situation to the early days of coaxial 'cable television' (and interesting to note that all those early cable pioneers ultimately failed to be financially viable independently and became Virgin Media).

Note that Openenreach will almost certainly offer wholesale FTTP in the same locations eventually for ISPs such as Sky and BT to use, but this will be on their own timescale.

Sayek
Topic Author

This has been educational 🙂

I was hoping it would be Openreach so other ISP can compete with deals ike they do with 40/10 & 80/20 on copper lines

They seem to have some crazy offer for 1GB to bring in customer...for me 150M solid connection is plenty

My only concern is soon they will rasie prices very high as no competition.

new.JPG

@Sayek wrote:

My only concern is soon they will rasie prices very high as no competition.

Or just evaporate overnight if they run out of startup capital, which is somewhat less likely with Sky/BT/Virgin ; )

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion