Discussion topic: PS4 lagging with wired connection on superfast broadband

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Re: PS4 lagging with wired connection on superfast broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mae-3 @what+doyouwant  Are you sure it is connected via Ethernet directly to the router...I don't see any LAN traffic at all and the status is "down"....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@JPR007 

@what+doyouwant did state that they had the PS4 disconnected/powered down from the LAN when they took the router stats.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3My bad i didn't see that back in the thread...🙈

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

what+doyouwant
Topic Author
This message was authored by what+doyouwant This message was authored by: what+doyouwant

@mae-3 @JPR007 I'll be going on the playstation shortly, I'll get an updated screenshot and throw it here

@what+doyouwant maybe you have a "bufferfloat" issue using the sky hub...be interesting to run a test and see 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@what+doyouwant 

There is no need to post a further set of router stats it is well documented that the SR203 does have a lag issue with the PS4 across the internet even when connected by ethernet. And I've investigated this issue before and replacing the router with something more suitable does fix the issue.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
what+doyouwant
Topic Author
This message was authored by what+doyouwant This message was authored by: what+doyouwant

Ok I'm happy enough with that diagnosis then, you seem to know what you're talking about. Wish this was mentioned somwhere when signing up but guess thats not really great advertisement...

Do you have any suggestions for better equipment?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

@what+doyouwant 

When I investigated this before the individuals concerned replace it with an old Sky SR102 router and that fixed the issue, so I assume that almost any router compatible with Sky DHCP Option 61 will do a far better job than the SR203 & ER110/ER115.

You will need to lose the landline over VoIP of course.

-------

what+doyouwant
Topic Author

@mae-3 @JPR007 Ok thanks a lot guys, you've been very helpful

This message was authored by PO64 This message was authored by: PO64

Hi there could you suggest which router is best to go with to fix this issue?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@PO64 

The following netgear routers and firmware will replace the router side of the sky hub bearing in mind that unless you are full fibre you will need an appropriate modem

XR500

V2.3.2.56 and above

XR700

V1.0.1.10 and above

RAX40  

V1.0.3.62 and above

RAX80

V1.0.3.88 and above

RAX200

V1.0.1.12 and above

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@PO64 

The same applies with the following asus routers either with stock firmware or asus-merlin firmware . At the end off the day its a question of how much you want to pay .

Asus rt-ax86u

Asus rt-ax88u

Asus rog gt-ax11000

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion