Discussion topic: Trying to add a 3rd party router so I can have my surfshark VPN on the router

This message was authored by kdb84 This message was authored by: kdb84

Trying to add a 3rd party router so I can have my surfshark VPN on the router

Hi all. 

I currently have a Sky Max Hub with Superfast Broadband (the fastest my property can get) which sits at around 70MG

I want to use a 3rd party router so I can have the Surfshark VPN on the router

I have ordered an Asus RTX59U but realised it does not come with a modem and after some research have discovered this is going to be a lot more difficult than I first thought as well as potentially very expensive!

Am I able to turn off the wifi on my Max Hub yet leave it connected at the wall then connect the new router to the Sky Hub via ethernet and have the new router function as the wifi and use the VPN?

Or can somebody suggest best steps please. The only thing I am sure of is I dont want to have to put the VPN on each device and have some that can not download VPNs for example the console.

Thank you in advance for any and all help you can provide

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Trying to add a 3rd party router so I can have my surfshark VPN on the router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@kdb84 quite why you think you need a VPN on every device is your business but most devices definitely dont need one. 

You can use your Asus hub behind a Sky hub but you will have a Double NAT set up which does cause issues for some apps but most work well. To simplfy the set up you may want to place the Asus. Into the. sky hub's DMZ effectively bypassing the hubs firewall as well as disabling its wifi - settings for both are in the My Sky app.

Alternatively you can buy a cheap TP-Link modem router like the TD-W9970 which can be configured into bridge mode and connect that between the line and the Asus router.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Trying to add a 3rd party router so I can have my surfshark VPN on the router

@kdb84 quite why you think you need a VPN on every device is your business but most devices definitely dont need one. 

You can use your Asus hub behind a Sky hub but you will have a Double NAT set up which does cause issues for some apps but most work well. To simplfy the set up you may want to place the Asus. Into the. sky hub's DMZ effectively bypassing the hubs firewall as well as disabling its wifi - settings for both are in the My Sky app.

Alternatively you can buy a cheap TP-Link modem router like the TD-W9970 which can be configured into bridge mode and connect that between the line and the Asus router.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
kdb84
Topic Author

Thank you. @Chrisee 

The reason for VPN on router is I have several devices which I cant put the VPN app on, for example cheap online security camera and games consoles.

Would your DMZ solution mean the ASUS router performance is utilised.

I am interested in TP link but was told by someone that it opens me up to risk as made in China (sorry if that induced a huge eye roll my knowledge is poor on these things)

Does the performance of the modem reduce effectiveness of the router.

I appreciate al the help. Thank you

kdb84
Topic Author

Also as its in Bridge mode I presume that means its just acting as a modem and the fact if its single band or dual band etc become irrelevant?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@kdb84 as you might guess I am not a huge fan of VPNs unless you need  them for specific reasons. Generally I would trust a large company heavily regulated by Ofcom with my data over a VPN operator based who knows where. 

You cannoy avoid a Double NAT solution if you have the Sky hub acting as a VDSL modem as it has no bridge mode. Using the DMZ simply bypasses the firewall and given the Asus has its own firewall it simplifies tgecset up without reall affecting security. 

Almost all Kit is built in China these days but given the TP-Link unit would simply be acting as a VDSL modem so its not actually routing data. Its routing features and wifi are bypassed when set up in bridge mode. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@kdb84 

Why would you want a VPN on your console you'll just likely increase your latency & possibly cause NAT issues. 
Also with a VPN your sharing a public IP with people so you will likely get a Captcha every single time you do so much as a google search

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
kdb84
Topic Author

Thank you. 

Is this TP model that does VDSL the only model compatible with sky, there are no modems without the router and required Bridge?

kdb84
Topic Author

I have the VPN on my devices currently (laptop and phone) due to work and dont find it a real issue.

I read that it reduces gaming lag and removes the potential for throttling (not that I think SKY do that)

Im paying for the VPN anyway so thought I may as well try it.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@kdb84 the modem does not require to be compatable it simply has to convert VDSL signalling into a data stream its the router that does the authentication and your choice of an Asus model offers that..

Buying a cheap TP-Link modem router and turning off its WiFi router functionality works out far cheaper then buying a dedicated router such as Draytek make. 

kdb84
Topic Author

Thank you @Chrisee i have for now stuck the router to the sky max hub. All is set up and running although as you said with double NAT. 

i may get the modem in due time. I appreciate all your help. 

This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Double-NAT-Setup-Guide/td-p/4256938

Have a read it may help you.

yet this is more for FTTP as I have to use the sky Hub for voice calls.

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion