Discussion topic: WiFi cuts out

This message was authored by Nicola123 This message was authored by: Nicola123

WiFi cuts out

Certain rooms in the house which are furthest away from the router have an unreliable connection which cuts out intermittently or says 'obtaining IP address'. Constantly having to turn off WiFi and turn it back on to refresh.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: WiFi cuts out

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nicola123 sounds like you need a booster or similar to improve the wifi signal. You can try rebooting the hub which may help by getting it to find the wifi channel with the least interference but you really need a better long term solution. If you buy Sky's Broadbsnd boost bundle they will send you a booster if youbcall them. They also have a psckage called Wifi Mx fir £7.50 a month which gets you a newer hub with up to 3 extender pods if an engineer agrees you need them after a visit. Alternatively you can buy a third party whole home wifi solution that can work out cheaper in the long run.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Nicola123
Topic Author
This message was authored by Nicola123 This message was authored by: Nicola123

As much as I appreciate that you have offered a solution, I really shouldn't have to pay any additional costs. The service I have paid for should be able to be used in all rooms of my property. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Nicola123 I don't work for Sky as my post clearly explained so that is something you have to take up with them.

However if you actually read your contract you will find Sky do not guarantee wifi coverage through out your home, no ISP does as they have no control over its size, layout or type of construction all of which affect Wifi coverage. The other factor outside their control is the level of interference from you neighbours' networks and your own electrical kit. 

That is why there is a large market for third party wifi kit and ISPs sell add-on packages to improve wifi. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Nicola123 wrote:

As much as I appreciate that you have offered a solution, I really shouldn't have to pay any additional costs. The service I have paid for should be able to be used in all rooms of my property. 

Yes, you should. Broadband prices are already at a very thin margin for ISPs, especially the likes of Sky who are in the more budget market. WiFi is entirely unpredictable so it would be impossible for an ISP to ensure that WiFi reaches every corner of every home in the UK without additional hardware & software solutions, all of which come at extra cost. You have the choice of either paying the ISP extra money for it or spending money on 3rd party solutions which you can setup and manage yourself. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion