Discussion topic: Random overtyping when writing an email

This message was authored by Out+of+date This message was authored by: Out+of+date

Random overtyping when writing an email

When typing an email, for example starting with 'Hello', I get to the 'l' and instead of the 'l' coming on screen, it automatically types the word 'Whole'. Yet if I type something else such as 'Its time to ask questions ..' it types ok. But then trying 'Hello' again, it types 'Whole'. This is just one example when writing this morning, at other times, it might be on a different word. I am not very computer literate so if you respond, please make it easy for me. 

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Random overtyping when writing an email

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Try turning the computer off and then back on again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Out+of+date
Topic Author
This message was authored by Out+of+date This message was authored by: Out+of+date

I have tried that numerous times. I have tried clearing browsing data and cookies but the problem still exists. It is only in Sky Yahoo email and only on this Acer desktop. It does not happen in the same email program on my laptop or ipad. 

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

I suspect it may be browser related, so try using a different browser.

Out+of+date
Topic Author

Thanks, I will try, but its the same browser on both the desktop and laptop.

Out+of+date
Topic Author

Hi again. I experienced the same problem when writing an email in Bing browser so I switched immedialety to Chrome and it was ok. Then back to Bing - not ok. So the answer should be to use Chrome, but why? Why does this technology not work properly? Its not rocket science and typing an email is perhaps one of the most basic operations we carry out. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Out+of+date wrote:

Hi again. I experienced the same problem when writing an email in Bing browser so I switched immedialety to Chrome and it was ok. Then back to Bing - not ok. So the answer should be to use Chrome, but why? Why does this technology not work properly? Its not rocket science and typing an email is perhaps one of the most basic operations we carry out. 

Sounds like you may have a predictive text setting turned on in your Bing browser.

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Browsers are now far more capable/configurable/powerful than even operating systems of old.

It is so easy to set something wrong by accident..

But, fortunately, it is easy to reinstall the browser, or use another one.

Out+of+date
Topic Author

I found this on another site. I have tried the solution and thus far it seems to have solved the problem. However, as I frequently clear my cookies, I will have to try to remeber to exclude [*.]bing.com. Thanks everybody for your help. Hopefully the problem is solved permanently. 

The search bar on Edge's New Tab Page will use Bing as its search provider unless you change the settings at edge://settings/search. You have already seen how to do that. However, search providers - including Bing - have their own settings as well. By default, Bing will make 'helpful' suggestions as you type in the search bar.

To prevent this, visit bing.com. Click on the hamburger icon ≡ in the top right-hand corner of the page (you may have to maximize the window to see it), click ⚙ Settings and then More. On the Settings page that opens, you'll see the heading Search suggestions with a check box 🗹 next to See search suggestions as you type. Make sure the box is empty ☐, then click Save at the bottom of the page.

This setting is saved in a cookie, so it will revert to the default 🗹 if you clear the cookies for [*.]bing.com.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion