Discussion topic: Watching sky Q recording on laptop

This message was authored by Halloween_Jack This message was authored by: Halloween_Jack

Watching sky Q recording on laptop

Hi there,

We have Sky Q and we'd like to be able to watch things we've recorded on it on a laptop in another room.

I've repeatedly asked Sky customer service and they assure me I only need Sky Go Extra which we've now upgraded to.

On their site it suggests you need Multiroom too. But it's not clear.

Can anyone let me know what it is we need as Sky customer service seem unfamilar with their products.

If we do just need Sky Go Extra, I can't see the Recordings option I think I'm supposed to have on the app now.

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1 Answer

Re: Watching sky Q recording on laptop

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Halloween_Jack wrote:

To be clear, if I want to watch my Sky Q recordings on a laptop, do I need a multiscreen subscription? Or will a Sky Go Extra subscription be enough?

Thanks

@Halloween_Jack yes you need the multiscreen subscription to watch recordings on your laptop 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by dcoppard This message was authored by: dcoppard

I think you need multiroom to watch recordings. Without it you can watch live tv on a laptop, tablet or phone, but not recordings.

I realised this when I dropped multiroom and immediately I lost the ability to watch recordings.

Halloween_Jack
Topic Author
This message was authored by Halloween_Jack This message was authored by: Halloween_Jack

I thought so...

It's really frustrating that I've spoken to 4 Sky advisors and they either didn't know or told me Sky Go Extra was all I needed.

Unbelievable really.

So, if I get Multiview do we get an extra box? We only have 1 tv in the house so I think I'd better check how it all connects before I upgrade.

Also I'm confused the the Sky Q seems to have wifi? I have my own Network I'd prefer to use. Would the laptop just connect as usual to my Network or does it need to connect to the Multiview extra box or the Sky Wifi or anything like that?

Thanks 🙂

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Halloween_Jack wrote:

I thought so...

It's really frustrating that I've spoken to 4 Sky advisors and they either didn't know or told me Sky Go Extra was all I needed.

Unbelievable really.

So, if I get Multiview do we get an extra box? We only have 1 tv in the house so I think I'd better check how it all connects before I upgrade.

Also I'm confused the the Sky Q seems to have wifi? I have my own Network I'd prefer to use. Would the laptop just connect as usual to my Network or does it need to connect to the Multiview extra box or the Sky Wifi or anything like that?

Thanks 🙂

@Halloween_Jack you don't need to take an extra mini box if you don't want one.

As long as your laptop and main box are on the same network then Sky go will connect to your main box and you will have access to your recording. 

You will be able to watch all recordings on the laptop through Sky Go when connected to the Q box 

If you want to download recordings to your laptop to watch away from home then some of the recordings will not be able to be downloaded ie all BBC 

Halloween_Jack
Topic Author

Oh cool thanks mate.

So, if it's working should I see a 'Recordings' option in the Left panel of the app?

It might be a Network thing. I have have the Sky Q wired to my router as it's right next to it.

Is the laptop not seeing the recordings as the Sky Q is sending out a Sky Wifi, and my Laptop is on my Network from the router?

Thanks

@Halloween_Jack wrote:

Oh cool thanks mate.

So, if it's working should I see a 'Recordings' option in the Left panel of the app?

It might be a Network thing. I have have the Sky Q wired to my router as it's right next to it.

Is the laptop not seeing the recordings as the Sky Q is sending out a Sky Wifi, and my Laptop is on my Network from the router?

Thanks

@Halloween_Jack If you have multiscreen and your Sky Go has connected to the box 

then yes you should see recordingsas an option in the menu on the left hand side 

As long as your laptop is connecting to the router either by wifi or ethernet it should be on the same network as the Q box 

2024-01-10.png

Halloween_Jack
Topic Author

Thanks again.

I donm't have multiscreen or multiroom.

This is my point. Sky CS told me I just needed Sky Go Extra not the multiscreen subscription.

Do I need that subscription for it to work?

Halloween_Jack
Topic Author

To be clear, if I want to watch my Sky Q recordings on a laptop, do I need a multiscreen subscription? Or will a Sky Go Extra subscription be enough?

Thanks

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1 Answer

@Halloween_Jack wrote:

Thanks

@Halloween_Jack yes you need the multiscreen subscription to watch recordings on your laptop 

Halloween_Jack
Topic Author

Thanks mate. 

I never should've listened to Sky, what do they know?! 🤣

I can confirm that I've updated to Multiscreen and it worked straight away.

Thanks for for your help on this and the handy screen grab showing me what to look for.

Very helpful indeed!

@Halloween_Jack wrote:

Thanks mate. 

I never should've listened to Sky, what do they know?! 🤣

I can confirm that I've updated to Multiscreen and it worked straight away.

Thanks for for your help on this and the handy screen grab showing me what to look for.

Very helpful indeed!

@Halloween_Jack no problem it is quite tricky to know what you need with Sky Go to watch recordings etc as Sky Go extra does let you do somethings and not others

glad you have it sorted out now 😀

Halloween_Jack
Topic Author

Yeah, it does say so on their site, to be fair. But in a slightly ambiguous way.To me at least 🙂

I thought a phone call would clarify but all 4 people I spoke to told me the wrong thing!

Also thrown by multiscreen mentioning an extra box which I didn't see that I needed.

Anyway. All good now 🙂

Thanks again!

This message was authored by Savio1 This message was authored by: Savio1

Can anyone confirm to me if I get a multiroom subscription I can watch recordings on my laptop & if I have an ethernet cable & ethernet port on my laptop I could do it that way? Please advise Thanks Savio

@Savio1 wrote:

Can anyone confirm to me if I get a multiroom subscription I can watch recordings on my laptop & if I have an ethernet cable & ethernet port on my laptop I could do it that way? Please advise Thanks Savio

@Savio1 If you want to watch recordings that are on your Q box then yes you need the multiscreen subscription otherwise your Sky Go app won't connect to your Q box to allow you to see the recordings on the Q box 

This message was authored by Savio1 This message was authored by: Savio1

Ok thanks for confirming much appreciated 👍

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion