Discussion topic: Can I have 5 sky Q boxes, with multi-room knowing only 3 can be used simultaneously?

This message was authored by ATailor12345 This message was authored by: ATailor12345

Can I have 5 sky Q boxes, with multi-room knowing only 3 can be used simultaneously?

Can I have 5 sky Q boxes, with multi-room knowing only 3 can be used simultaneously?

I can buy a separate box mini Q boxes. But what to use it for 5 rooms. But only ever 3 simultaneously. 

Any reason this want work?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Can I have 5 sky Q boxes, with multi-room knowing only 3 can be used simultaneously?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ATailor12345 

The maximum number it's legitimate to possess is one main Q box and four Mini boxes, of which any two Mini boxes can be in use. The main Q box always counts as being in use even if its television is switched off, because it's supplying data to the Mini boxes.

The system for multiple screens in use (up to six at one address, subject to bandwidth availability) is Sky Stream.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Can I have 5 sky Q boxes, with multi-room knowing only 3 can be used simultaneously?

@ATailor12345 

You can't 'buy' any Sky Q boxes. You can have a maximum of 4 mini boxes loaned to you by Sky. You can watch Sky content on two minis and the main box at the same time. You may be able to use a 3rd mini box at the same time if you’re using it for one of the apps such as Netflix.
The original 1TB (non-UHD) Sky Q box only allows one mini to be in use. All 2TBs and the UHD/HDR 1TB permit two mini boxes. Each mini box which is loaned to you may be subject to a one off upfront charge but you only need one Sky Q monthly Multiscreen subscription.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@ATailor12345 

The maximum number it's legitimate to possess is one main Q box and four Mini boxes, of which any two Mini boxes can be in use. The main Q box always counts as being in use even if its television is switched off, because it's supplying data to the Mini boxes.

The system for multiple screens in use (up to six at one address, subject to bandwidth availability) is Sky Stream.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by 152bobby This message was authored by: 152bobby

I have one main Sky Q 2TB box and three sky Q mini boxes, one was supplied by Sky with the Sky Q main box on install and now I somehow have three in total around the house and I did not buy them outside of Sky, so I must have got additional ones from Sky and possibly paid some sort of install/admin fee, even though I did self installs on all of them.

If you look on all the usual selling sites, people are selling them, so I guess if they all are on loan from Sky, then when those people leave Sky, they will have to pay for them I suppose.

Sky Q 2TB and three Sky Q Mini boxes installed on 27th March 2019.
Main TV is a LG OLED evo C2 65" 4k". Sky Wifi Booster. Sky Protect. BT Smart Hub 4 Router. Sky customer since 2000.
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@152bobby wrote:

I have one main Sky Q 2TB box and three sky Q mini boxes, one was supplied by Sky with the Sky Q main box and I purchased an addition two direct from Sky, so I guess I own the two I purchased !! (Nor really sure, but not that fussed anyway).

You don't own them. The fee Sky charge is an activation or admin fee - you are not purchasing the hardware. Whenever you decide to cancel your subscription or switch to Sky Stream for example, Sky will insist on the return of all Sky Q hardware, otherwise you will be charged a non-return fee for each box registered to your account. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@152bobby wrote:

I have one main Sky Q 2TB box and three sky Q mini boxes, one was supplied by Sky with the Sky Q main box and I purchased an addition two direct from Sky, so I guess I own the two I purchased !! (Nor really sure, but not that fussed anyway).

Definitely not. All Sky Q boxes and mini boxes are loaned to you and must be returned at the end of your subscription. You paid a connection/admin fee not a purchase price. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion