Discussion topic: Internet dies from 2:45am/3am to 5:45am/6am every morning.

This message was authored by softiesydneyluv This message was authored by: softiesydneyluv

Internet dies from 2:45am/3am to 5:45am/6am every morning.

Alright, so I have a weird sleeping pattern in which I'm up between 2am and 6am at the latest, and for all of that time I am online and require the internet. However, starting this week, my internet has been going off completely for extended periods of time. Last night, it went off at 2:45am exactly and I can only assume it came back on again at 5:45am based on my research. 

I thought the issue was my router at first. Between my room and the router, there is an outside wall due to an extension being built, so I thought I should get a booster for the room or a repeater. As far as I know from my research, my sky box goes into eco mode from 2:45am to 5:45am every night, but my router should still provide a connection, which it clearly isn't. I thought that was the case until me and my friend, who works in tech and IT, were talking about it. So when I described the issue to them, they said that my internet was being shut off manually every night for whatever reason. I am aware that there is a setting in the menu to toggle eco mode on/off, but I have looked and I can't find it, and my friend said that probably won't fix it.

So with all of that in mind (sorry if that makes no sense or is really messy), I'm not sure how to fix this. I still don't know if the router is the problem, if so should I assume the booster will fix it? Is eco mode the problem, if so could someone please give me a step-by-step on how to disable it? Or is my internet being turned off every night for some reason, is there work being done or issues taking place at the moment, and is this a temporary thing that will be solved in a week or something?

Any help is appreciated, this is extremely frustrating and I will try any possible solution. If it helps, I am in the east Kent area, in case there are any issues going on in my area and in case this is just something my providers are looking into just so I can possibly get confirmation.

Thanks,

Sydney.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Internet dies from 2:45am/3am to 5:45am/6am every morning.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@softiesydneyluv 

It's almost certainly the eco mode on a Sky Q television box causing the wireless mesh to drop: simplest solution is to switch that mode off.

There's no equivalent on a Sky Hub.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@softiesydneyluv 

It's almost certainly the eco mode on a Sky Q television box causing the wireless mesh to drop: simplest solution is to switch that mode off.

There's no equivalent on a Sky Hub.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@softiesydneyluv 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/using-the-standby-settings 

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

Agreed @TimmyBGood,

I could almost put my life savings on it being Eco mode, it plays havoc with my LAN

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by PVD1878 This message was authored by: PVD1878

Ditto.  My main Q Box is wired with CAT6 directly to my router. The Mini Q Box is hard wired into my managed network switch with CAT6 cable too.  Both have their Wi-Fi diabled.

See these threads:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Mysterious-LAN-Dropout-Every-Day-At-The-Same-Time/m-p/4633587...

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Q-Box-Mini-Eco-Mode-Disrupts-My-LAN-WHY/m-p/4636475#M644151

Sky obviously are either oblivious to it or don't care.  

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Broadband Ultrafast 1. Sky SR203 Router. SkyQ TV box. SkyQ Mini TV box. HikVision 16 Port PoE Managed Network Switch (DS-3E1518P-SI). WDMyCloud NAS. Reolink IP security cameras x8. CAT6 ethernet cables throughout. Both Q boxes hard wired and Wi-Fi disabled. Siemens Gigaset E630A landline.
This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@PVD1878 wrote:

Ditto.  My main Q Box is wired with CAT6 directly to my router. The Mini Q Box is hard wired into my managed network switch with CAT6 cable too.  Both have their Wi-Fi diabled.

See these threads:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Mysterious-LAN-Dropout-Every-Day-At-The-Same-Time/m-p/4633587...

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Q-Box-Mini-Eco-Mode-Disrupts-My-LAN-WHY/m-p/4636475#M644151

Sky obviously are either oblivious to it or don't care.  

I'll have to disagree to a point Sky Q main box on Eco mode this setting hasn't been changed since March 2016.

Sky Router is some distance away from the main box which is in my bedroom

I  hate wires so everything is connected wirelessly 

FiretvStick connects to 5ghz but have no issues watching Netflix once Sky Q box is in sleep mode

Only issue I'm aware of was my son had his XBOX S hard wired to his Sky Q Mini once Eco time had kicked in he had to switch to wireless.

Got plenty of other devices what don't loose connection due to Eco Mode

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Agree with @best+of+the+best 

Main box and one mini on full Ethernet here with two further minis on Devolo Powerline on BT broadband.

All Q Box WiFi off and ECO mode on all Q boxes.  No network issues here.

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@PVD1878 

Do you have Sky BB or third party ?

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

I have Sky (fibre) for everything.  Telly, landline, router (SR203).

Sky Broadband Ultrafast 1. Sky SR203 Router. SkyQ TV box. SkyQ Mini TV box. HikVision 16 Port PoE Managed Network Switch (DS-3E1518P-SI). WDMyCloud NAS. Reolink IP security cameras x8. CAT6 ethernet cables throughout. Both Q boxes hard wired and Wi-Fi disabled. Siemens Gigaset E630A landline.

The glitch only impacts on hard-wired devices, such as your son's XBox.  Anything connected by Wi-Fi is ummune.  Switching the XBox to Wi-Fi when Eco Mode kicks in proves that there is an issue.

One of my cameras is a Wi-Fi only device and that was unaffected while my other cameras, which are all hard wired, blipped.

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@PVD1878 wrote:

The glitch only impacts on hard-wired devices, such as your son's XBox.  Anything connected by Wi-Fi is ummune.  Switching the XBox to Wi-Fi when Eco Mode kicks in proves that there is an issue.

One of my cameras is a Wi-Fi only device and that was unaffected while my other cameras, which are all hard wired, blipped.

Fair comment @PVD1878 but the Sky Q box and Mini box go into Eco Mode at the same time unless I change this setting I'm quite happy to leave the setting as it is for my household if they want to watch Sky TV then watch Sky Go which they all have access too 

Son  chooses to connect Xbox to Sky Q mini Eco Mode won't be changed as he has a wireless option that's down to him.

But I've never experienced extended periods of no Internet as @softiesydneyluv mentioned due to Eco Mode.

Point taken.

However, no device that disrupts hard-wired LANs like this should be allowed anywhere near paying customers.  It's disgraceful, sloppy and careless engineering with no attention to detail.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion