Discussion topic: Problem with sky q box not finishing overnight update

This message was authored by Richardsky2 This message was authored by: Richardsky2

Problem with sky q box not finishing overnight update

My sky Q box is getting stuck in the overnight update every couple of days. Come down to a loud fan noise.

It seems to fix itself if I turn on the TV and wait. Then completes the update within 5mins.

Issue started about 4 or 5months ago. Thought it might be a box issue so got a replacement. Issue continues so I think it must be a software bug from a new sky update change.

I have made sure same software version is on sky Q and all my mini boxes and that the standby settings are consistent on all devices.

Anyone have any ideas? The sky engineer that came did not offer any solutions just stressed it is end of life tech now so resources are not being put into platform.

The fact I have not had any issues for 5yr plus and suddenly get the same stuck on update issue suggests to be is a software bug.

All Replies

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Re: Problem with sky q box not finishing overnight update

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Richardsky2 

Your post has been escalated to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.

Just look out for the chat bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks
Tom
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Would expect it to be a wider reaching issue if it was a software bug. Tried a full factory reset on the box?

Richardsky2
Topic Author
This message was authored by Richardsky2 This message was authored by: Richardsky2

Hi,  got a message to say you wanted to chat. 

Richardsky2
Topic Author

I did on the original sky q box. Still got stuck doing overnight update.

When I got the new sky q box I just checked that same software version and standby mode settings on main and minis.

I struggle to see why I should need to do a factory reset on a new sky q box but I may be missing something. 

With same issue happening on old and brand new box I still think it is a software problem.

@Richardsky2 wrote:

Hi,  got a message to say you wanted to chat. 

You should get a chat bubble overlay on this page somewhere.

Richardsky2
Topic Author

Hi,

Think I have fixed the above issue. I changed out the hdmi cable between main box and TV.

Was the one thing not changed when we switched out the old box and tried the various steps to fix it getting stuck.

Has only been through one 2day cycle without getting stuck in the overnight/morning update but am hopeful that was the issue 

Thanks to everyone at Sky for trying to help over the last month.

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@Richardsky2 wrote:

Hi,

Think I have fixed the above issue. I changed out the hdmi cable between main box and TV.

Was the one thing not changed when we switched out the old box and tried the various steps to fix it getting stuck.

Has only been through one 2day cycle without getting stuck in the overnight/morning update but am hopeful that was the issue 

Thanks to everyone at Sky for trying to help over the last month.

Just to be clear, there are not routine "overnight/morning updates', it is just a automated reboot that Sky introduced awhile back.

I am just another Sky customer!
Richardsky2
Topic Author

Main box stuck again this morning so the changing of the cable was not the problem. Only thing left is the fact the main box is going ethernet cable into BT disc rather than direct to main BT hub. 

Looks like am going to have to live with it given I need it going into disc to get sky into sky mini in shed.

Mine is connected into a BT disc (via a switch) and not had this issue. The one time I did have this problem pre-dates that and required a new box to resolve.

Richardsky2
Topic Author

Hi Chodley, thanks. Can you explain your set up to me pls?

Mine is BT fibre to home, I then have four BT discs around the house and in shed that is 7metres ish from the kitchen. 

I have sky Q minis in conservatory, kitchen and shed.

The main sky Q box is ethernet cabled to BT disc in the living room.

Have had that set up for 5yr and always has worked perfectly until recent issues.

I have tried reconnecting main sky Q box to main BT hub directly via WiFi. Worked fine connecting to minis in conservatory and kitchen but then the shed mini would not connect too far I think.

I don't really want to run an ethernet cable from main BT hub to shed mini. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Hi @Richardsky2 

Firstly your issue is  not going to be due to any Software update.  If it was,  it would affect all Q boxes not just a few.

If All your Q boxes are connected by Ethernet to BT Discs then have you turned off All Q box WiFi.

When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go immediately into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Richardsky2
Topic Author

Hi,

Thanks for advice, before I try please see complete breakdown below.

Main sky Q box is connected to BT disc in living room via ethernet cable.

Kitchen sky mini and conservatory sky mini are connected via WiFi.

Shed sky mini is connected ethernet into BT disc in shed

Thanks 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Richardsky2 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for advice, before I try please see complete breakdown below.

Main sky Q box is connected to BT disc in living room via ethernet cable.

Kitchen sky mini and conservatory sky mini are connected via WiFi.

Shed sky mini is connected ethernet into BT disc in shed

Thanks 

Hi @Richardsky2 

To get reliable connectivity when on 3rd party WiFi you really need all Q devices connected by the same method to the same Network devices

Looks like in your case that would be all connected by Ethernet to BT Discs.  You can then turn off all WiFi (as outlined in my earlier post).

This will help with Q connections and simplify your WiFi to a single Network

I don't have my minis connected to BT discs but they are connected via powerline adapters to the same switch as the Q.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion