Discussion topic: Sky Q remote control does not switch off Samsung CU8000 TV

This message was authored by AM65 This message was authored by: AM65

Sky Q remote control does not switch off Samsung CU8000 TV

My old TV is a LG smart TV from 2019 and the Sky Q remote works perfectly, controlling the volume, mute, and TV on and off. 

I have just bought a Samsung CU8000. This is a 2023 brand new TV. 

I reset the Sky Q remote as it can only work with 1 TV. 

I then went through the process of pairing the Sky Q remote with the Samsung CU8000. 

Samsung CU8000 is not listed in Sky Q remote set up. 

I selected Find It For Me. 

Sky Q remote now controls TV volume up and down and mute   

Sky Q remote turns TV on when I press the INPUT button at the top right. 

Sky Q remote DOES NOT turn TV off. I hold the power button for 3 seconds, nothing happens. I have tried holding the power button for other durations from 2 seconds to 10 seconds but the TV stays on. 

I have spoken to Samsung - they don't know why this happens.

I have spoken to Sky - They don't know why this happens.

I am sending the Samsung back for a full refund but before they collect it I thought I'd ask if anyone has the same or similar issue and if so, have they found a solution? 

Please let me know ASAP as the Samsung is being collected in 3 days time. 

Thanks. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Sky Q remote control does not switch off Samsung CU8000 TV

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

When it asks you if it controls the volume say no and it will try other samsung IR codes. If it needs the input button (and not holding down the power button) to turn the TV on? It's on the wrong set.

AM65
Topic Author

I should have mentioned that I did that too. I went through all 9 tests. 4 of them paired the Sky Q remote with the TV but only for the volume up and down and mute, and for turning the TV on. Not one of them turned the TV off.

Thanks for the quick reply though. 

@AM65 wrote:

I should have mentioned that I did that too. I went through all 9 tests. 4 of them paired the Sky Q remote with the TV but only for the volume up and down and mute, and for turning the TV on. Not one of them turned the TV off.

Thanks for the quick reply though. 

That is very unusual

Not sure I'd bother sending a TV that I like back for it though

(but can heartily recommend a Panasonic OLED 😄)

This message was authored by DNScott This message was authored by: DNScott

I just got it to work.

We have a new CU8000 since yesterday and paired the Sky Q remote with the TV.

At first, we had the same problem with the Sky Q remote switching on the set, controlling volume, but not switching off, then I stumbled on how to get it to work, which is to switch off the Sky Q box with a short press of the remote's button, then wait a few seconds until the TV shows the 'check device power' notification, then 'long press' (3-4 seconds) the Sky Q remote's power button. When I release the power button, the TV switches off.

I fear this discovery will be too late for the OP, but hopefully will be useful to anyone else encountering this issue.  

@DNScott wrote:

I just got it to work.

We have a new CU8000 since yesterday and paired the Sky Q remote with the TV.

At first, we had the same problem with the Sky Q remote switching on the set, controlling volume, but not switching off, then I stumbled on how to get it to work, which is to switch off the Sky Q box with a short press of the remote's button, then wait a few seconds until the TV shows the 'check device power' notification, then 'long press' (3-4 seconds) the Sky Q remote's power button. When I release the power button, the TV switches off.

I fear this discovery will be too late for the OP, but hopefully will be useful to anyone else encountering this issue.  

Not sure what you mean, that is how you're supposed to use it. Short press controls the sky box. Longer press controls the TV.

This message was authored by DNScott This message was authored by: DNScott

Yes, I know. The OP was having a problem in which his Sky Q remote was not switching off his Samsung TV.  My previous TV packed up a few days ago and I bought the same Samsung model as he had and I encountered the same problem: the remote would not switch off the new TV. It had been fine with the old TV. I Googled the issue and found his post and was on the verge of accepting that the Sky Q remote simply didn't work with that particular model of Samsung TV. However, with a bit of trial and error, I found that it does work, but you have to wait for a certain screen to come up on the TV after the Sky Q box is switched off, and only then will the long press work. On my old TV you could switch off the Sky Q box and immediately long press for the TV to switch off. With the new one I need to wait a few seconds and then long press. I hope that I have made it clearer now. 

I see. What happens if the Sky box is still on and you only do the long press?

(knowing Samsung it probably crashes the Sky box 😉 )

This message was authored by arnold+cronin This message was authored by: arnold+cronin

DNSCOTT

Can you clarify, please? Happy for you to treat me like a child when explaining, as I've tried everything. I purchased a new Samsung TV yesterday UE50CU8500 and although Sky sent me a new remote, I still can't switch off the TV. If I switch off the Sky box the TV comes up with the message "check device power". There will s then a "power on " "connection guide" and "source" option to highlight. Is this similar to your TV?

AM65
Topic Author

Pretty much the same. I ended up sending the TV back. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion