Discussion topic: Ultimate TV add-on changes (Netflix)

This message was authored by spud8385 This message was authored by: spud8385

Ultimate TV add-on changes (Netflix)

Hi there

We decided to take out Netflix via Sky. We have Sky Q with the Signature package and the HD and 4k add-ons already as part of our package, which looking online should upgrade the Netflix add-on to Premium. However,  when adding Netflix this evening (which I could only do via the Sky Q box itself, not via the MySky app for some reason) Netflix Premium was priced as a £15 add-on, which is barely less than it would be separately!

There are several posts on this forum from within the last 2/3 months stating that if you have the Ultimate TV add-on and also HD and 4k add-ons you get access to Netflix Premium. Is this no longer the case? I knew I'd have to pay a bit extra to get Netflix in the first place but didn't think it would be practically the same cost as doing it outside of Sky...

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Ultimate TV add-on changes (Netflix)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@spud8385 wrote:

Hi there

We decided to take out Netflix via Sky. We have Sky Q with the Signature package and the HD and 4k add-ons already as part of our package, which looking online should upgrade the Netflix add-on to Premium. However,  when adding Netflix this evening (which I could only do via the Sky Q box itself, not via the MySky app for some reason) Netflix Premium was priced as a £15 add-on, which is barely less than it would be separately!

There are several posts on this forum from within the last 2/3 months stating that if you have the Ultimate TV add-on and also HD and 4k add-ons you get access to Netflix Premium. Is this no longer the case? I knew I'd have to pay a bit extra to get Netflix in the first place but didn't think it would be practically the same cost as doing it outside of Sky...

Thanks

hi @spud8385 

I am afraid it changed in Dec 23 for anyone adding it or making other major changes with the packages & renewals 

From Mid December 2023 it no longer uses the SKY add ons to change the levels and instead there are new Netflix Boost packs  - the levels are :
Netflix  (Base level) is the With Ads service  - 2 Screens in HD (list cost £4)
Boost to Netflix Standard - 2 Screens in HD Ad free  (list price an additional £6  thus £10 in total for Netflix) 
Boost to Netflix Premium - 4 Screens  up to UHD/HDR  (list price an additional £11 thus £15 in total for Netflix) 

P.S. When you pay via SKY, you still cannot, currently, add the 'extra member' add on for use by family members not in your physical household that is available for those paying directly to Netflix

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@spud8385 wrote:

Hi there

Thanks

Hi @spud8385 

Sky Netflix prices have changed.
However these changes should not come into effect unless you change or renew your SkyPackage .

Netflix Standard with Ads
Included with Sky Signature
High definition
Watch on 2 devices.

Boost to Netflix Standard (No Ads).
£10
High definition
Watch on 2 devices

Boost to Netflix Premium
£15
Ultra high definition
Watch on 4 devices

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

@spud8385 wrote:

Hi there

Thanks

hi @spud8385 

I am afraid it changed in Dec 23 for anyone adding it or making other major changes with the packages & renewals 

From Mid December 2023 it no longer uses the SKY add ons to change the levels and instead there are new Netflix Boost packs  - the levels are :
Netflix  (Base level) is the With Ads service  - 2 Screens in HD (list cost £4)
Boost to Netflix Standard - 2 Screens in HD Ad free  (list price an additional £6  thus £10 in total for Netflix) 
Boost to Netflix Premium - 4 Screens  up to UHD/HDR  (list price an additional £11 thus £15 in total for Netflix) 

P.S. When you pay via SKY, you still cannot, currently, add the 'extra member' add on for use by family members not in your physical household that is available for those paying directly to Netflix

spud8385
Topic Author

Ah okay, we have Signature though and it charged me £4 a month to add the basic one with ads?

spud8385
Topic Author

Ah thank you, this makes more sense. Bummer, they always tried to upsell me Netflix when renewing my package every 18 months on the basis it was much cheaper! Shame it's no longer the case.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@spud8385 wrote:

Ah thank you, this makes more sense. Bummer, they always tried to upsell me Netflix when renewing my package every 18 months on the basis it was much cheaper! Shame it's no longer the case.

It is a big increase for the Premium level and I think likely to catch people out during the transition

It is still slightly cheaper than through Netflix direct but not as much as it used to be

spud8385
Topic Author

Yes, the only reason I was looking at taking it out was due to the end of password sharing (used to use my dad's Premium account!). I think giving him a fiver a month to add a 2nd household to his own account is probably the best...

Thanks for clearing this up dude 👍

This message was authored by Michaelwx This message was authored by: Michaelwx

I'm looking at upgrading Netflix to 4k. Direct through Netflix is £17.99 so £15 through Sky is a bit cheaper - unless I'm misunderstanding something?

Also, if you have Netflix through Sky then does this still mean the phone app will work? I currently cast from my phone to the bedroom TV. Will I have to log in to Netflix with my Sky account or will it no longer work. I'm pretty sure the Sky Go phone app doesn't allow casting, so if the Netflix app won't work then I'm saving £3 a month but losing the use of the Netflix phone app.

Thanks

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Michaelwx wrote:

I'm looking at upgrading Netflix to 4k. Direct through Netflix is £17.99 so £15 through Sky is a bit cheaper - unless I'm misunderstanding something?

Also, if you have Netflix through Sky then does this still mean the phone app will work? I currently cast from my phone to the bedroom TV. Will I have to log in to Netflix with my Sky account or will it no longer work. I'm pretty sure the Sky Go phone app doesn't allow casting, so if the Netflix app won't work then I'm saving £3 a month but losing the use of the Netflix phone app.

Thanks

HI @Michaelwx 

Yes it is slightly cheaper to pay for Netflix via SKY than direct to Netflix 

If you do subscribe via SKY after initial set up on SKY Q (Or Stream) you can use tha app on any device just like  if you subscribe direct.    

You do not use the SKY go app for Netflix - the SKY Go app is just for the same channels / recordings as the SKY Q box - not for any streaming apps where you use their dedicated apps

This message was authored by Michaelwx This message was authored by: Michaelwx

Brill, thanks 🙂

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion