Discussion topic: Wi-Fi providers

This message was authored by NigelF11 This message was authored by: NigelF11

Wi-Fi providers

I have two broadband providers to the house, can I use one for the Sky Q box and the other provider for the mini box ( the fibre broadband doesn't reach the annexe where the mini box is)

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Wi-Fi providers

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NigelF11 wrote:

I have two broadband providers to the house, can I use one for the Sky Q box and the other provider for the mini box ( the fibre broadband doesn't reach the annexe where the mini box is)

@NigelF11 no if neither are Sky then then mini boxes need to connect to your main Q box and the mesh signal it emits you may need a Sky Q booster or look at other ways to connect the mini ie ethernet to the main box or powerlines 

If one is Sky then all have to connect to the Sky broadband 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NigelF11 

A Q Mini box has to be on the same logical data network as the main Q box, because it's the main box which receives live satellite signal from the dish and then retransmits a tuned channel to the Mini.  This is also the case for all recording (only the main box has a hard drive) and internet data has to reach the main box first as well.

When isolated on a separate network, a Q Mini has zero functionality.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@NigelF11,

There is a way but it would require some clever routing to get it to work

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion