Discussion topic: Buffers. Cant watch television.

This message was authored by Mandyl668 This message was authored by: Mandyl668

Buffers. Cant watch television.

Hello, my sky steam buffers constantly. Takes around an hour and a half to watch a half hour episode of Emmerdale. Buffers on every app and live television 

All Replies

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Buffers. Cant watch television.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mandyl668 That points to the issue being its connectivity to the internet. Are you connected via WIFI?

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Mandyl668 wrote:

Hello, my sky steam buffers constantly. Takes around an hour and a half to watch a half hour episode of Emmerdale. Buffers on every app and live television 

Your broadband connection is probably not fast or stable enough. What speed are you supposed to get? How are you connected - WiFi or ethernet? 

To find out what speed is being received by the puck open the Netflix app, navigate to the get help menu and run a network check. Sky Stream really needs 30Mbps or higher to function well. 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Run the Network check a few times a few minutes apart😉

Exiled in HH
Mandyl668
Topic Author

It does say the connection is strong but doesn't make a slight bit of difference.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mandyl668 What speed did it report when you ran the test from the puck?

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Mandyl668
Topic Author

It only says Internet connection looks good.

The router is in my bedroom which is up the stairs and furthest away bedroom from my living room. So can't connect it with a cable.

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Mandyl668 wrote:

It only says Internet connection looks good.

The router is in my bedroom which is up the stairs and furthest away bedroom from my living room. So can't connect it with a cable.

A connection that 'looks good' means nothing. It's the speed reaching the Stream puck that's important. If it's far away from your router and connected via WiFi then you'll continue to get buffering issues. It would be worthwhile investing in a pair of powerline adapters which can transfer the broadband over your existing home electrical wiring from your router to the puck. 

Mandyl668
Topic Author

Okay. Thankyou I will try that.

This message was authored by PopsThompson This message was authored by: PopsThompson

Same here and always just Sky. They will play the ping pong blame game with this but we have no issues with BBC iPlayer, Netflix or YouTube.  We are on high speed FTTP and router near sky hub, so....

C'mon Sky, admit to the problem, get it sorted, or lose your customers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion